• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is The Cam Drive Belt Or Chain?

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm. I wrenched a lot of Years, even the best of engines needed gear replacement, usually when the chain was worn enough to be replaced. Well, to each their own I guess, I'll continue doing what I'm comfortable with. IMO, there's a good reason they sell gears and chains as a set..

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm. I wrenched a lot of Years, even the best of engines needed gear replacement, usually when the chain was worn enough to be replaced. Well, to each their own I guess, I'll continue doing what I'm comfortable with. IMO, there's a good reason they sell gears and chains as a set..

I always found that you changed the timing chain tensioner when you changed the chain.
Gears, not so much.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In a slightly related topic, I was in McDonalds with the girls and overheard a first date conversation between two 40 something people (male and female). Apparently, her car wasn't running well. It was a newer car. The guy was apparently a car "expert" and asked her if she checked the carburetor. She said she had taken it to the dealer and a couple of shops and no one had mentioned the carburetor. He said that's because they are crooked and only want you to spend more money. Further, he said that he could fix the carburetor on her car for about $50.

I was thinking... I had a 1985 Mustang and it was the last Mustang Ford made with a carburetor... weren't they ALL phased out by that time?

So, I looked it up. Wikipedia says:

Carburetors were the usual method of fuel delivery for most US-made gasoline-fueled engines up until the late 1980s, when fuel injection became the preferred method.[10] This change was dictated more by the requirements of catalytic converters than by any inherent inefficiency of carburation; a catalytic converter requires much more precise control over the fuel / air mixture, to closely control the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gases. In the U.S. market, the last carbureted cars were:

So basically, unless her vehicle was over 26 years old (and a very specific model), she had fuel injection. I wanted to say something as it seemed she was taking his advise seriously but didn't because I figured she either knew we don't use carburetors any more or she was ignorant and thus kind of deserved bad car karma.

I almost laughed out loud in the restaurant when he told her "You need to tell them to check your carburetor. That way, you look like you know what you are talking about."

I put this out there because --- could I be wrong? Was there another carbureted car produced after 1994? Is it reasonable to assume a decently dressed business woman would drive something newer than 1994 especially since she knows nothing about cars?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In a slightly related topic, I was in McDonalds with the girls and overheard a first date conversation between two 40 something people (male and female). Apparently, her car wasn't running well. It was a newer car. The guy was apparently a car "expert" and asked her if she checked the carburetor. She said she had taken it to the dealer and a couple of shops and no one had mentioned the carburetor. He said that's because they are crooked and only want you to spend more money. Further, he said that he could fix the carburetor on her car for about $50.

I was thinking... I had a 1985 Mustang and it was the last Mustang Ford made with a carburetor... weren't they ALL phased out by that time?

Carburetors were the usual method of fuel delivery for most US-made gasoline-fueled engines up until the late 1980s, when fuel injection became the preferred method.[10] This change was dictated more by the requirements of catalytic converters than by any inherent inefficiency of carburation; a catalytic converter requires much more precise control over the fuel / air mixture, to closely control the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gases. In the U.S. market, the last carbureted cars were:

So basically, unless her vehicle was over 26 years old (and a very specific model), she had fuel injection. I wanted to say something as it seemed she was taking his advise seriously but didn't because I figured she either knew we don't use carburetors any more or she was ignorant and thus kind of deserved bad car karma.

I almost laughed out loud in the restaurant when he told her "You need to tell them to check your carburetor. That way, you look like you know what you are talking about."

I put this out there because --- could I be wrong? Was there another carbureted car produced after 1994? Is it reasonable to assume a decently dressed business woman would drive something newer than 1994 especially since she knows nothing about cars?

Last "technically" carbed vehicle I had was a '90 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.2L inline 6 cylinder. I say "technically" because it was an electrically controlled carburetor and a huge PITA. I'll take FI over a carb any day.

...and the guy baffling the girl with BS about his knowledge of all things vehicular is a moron. Not sure I could've kept my mouth shut. :rolleyes:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

There are some throttle body injectors that look like carbs, but function very differently than carbs. These are the type of FI NASCAR uses; it is 30 year old technology.

510-112-587[1].jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/11...208916254631&gclid=CPKWloPDptECFUJqfgodLp4JQQ

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I always found that you changed the timing chain tensioner when you changed the chain.
Gears, not so much.

My mechanic work for a living ended about 23 Yrs. ago. Only "some" imports had tensioners on metal timing chains. Even then they were more like guides. V8s and Sixes had simple Two to One rotation gears and the chains had no master links. I tinker now, enjoying the hands on work without anyone hanging over my shoulder.

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Not counting motorcycles or scooters, the last carbureted vehicles I owned were a 1986 Chevy van (4.3L) and a 1988 class C motor home of a Chevy van chassis (5.7L). The motor home was fun, because it would backfire when I shut the engine off. Nobody wanted to work on the carburetor. Basically, they all said, "Does it run? Yes? Then don't mess with it." Shutting it off in drive solved the backfire issue.

I have NEVER had a problem with a fuel injection system, and that dates back to the 1970s. Well, I did have a minor leak in a VW diesel injection pump after the switch to ultra low sulfur. That was fixed with a $20 o-ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Not counting motorcycles or scooters, the last carbureted vehicles I owned were a 1986 Chevy van (4.3L) and a 1988 class C motor home of a Chevy van chassis (5.7L). The motor home was fun, because it would backfire when I shut the engine off. Nobody wanted to work on the carburetor. Basically, they all said, "Does it run? Yes? Then don't mess with it." Shutting it off in drive solved the backfire issue.

I have NEVER had a problem with a fuel injection system, and that dates back to the 1970s. Well, I did have a minor leak in a VW diesel injection pump after the switch to ultra low sulfur. That was fixed with a $20 o-ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"........Shutting it off in drive solved the backfire issue. ......." and "...... it would backfire when I shut the engine off......." sounds more like a timing issue then a carb or fuel problem.

Top Bottom