• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

It’s “snow” Problem

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Right now it's not as much a snow problem but cold weather problem. I came back from VT yesterday and it was around -15 to 0. One day it made it up to -7. Made for cold skiing.

FC

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do not believe snow pack will be an issue with the front wheels at least. With the wheel wells vibrating with any bump in the road, it should stay clear. Snow accumulation in the back wheel well might be a concern. Might be an opportunity for a wheel well deicer to be invented, perhaps using exhaust heat.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do not believe snow pack will be an issue with the front wheels at least. With the wheel wells vibrating with any bump in the road, it should stay clear. Snow accumulation in the back wheel well might be a concern. Might be an opportunity for a wheel well deicer to be invented, perhaps using exhaust heat.
That is something to consider. Even on my way back from VT, most of the roads were snow packed and that was not a problem. The issue I could see is when it warms up just enough where there are tracks down to the pavement and the center had at least a 2" berm of snow. When you changed lanes you just had to be ready. I was wondering how that center wheel would ride on that berm since nothing else would pack it down. Then changing lanes where the front have to go over two berms while the rear is in pavement and especially with a lightweight Elio. I'm thinking that states in the snowy areas are going to have to be better at clearing the roads because when you will have a few million Elios running around, that could create an issue. The big benefit to the Elio is that you can drive it in the snow when it's -20F outside.

FC

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well with a few million Elios and other 3 wheel vehicles coming up it might be enough to wear a center groove in the snow :-)
I do think before that happens though the center berm could make changing lanes a bit of a challenge. I wonder if people who drive Morgans in England have that issue, or do they just not drive in the winter?

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well with a few million Elios and other 3 wheel vehicles coming up it might be enough to wear a center groove in the snow :-)
I do think before that happens though the center berm could make changing lanes a bit of a challenge. I wonder if people who drive Morgans in England have that issue, or do they just not drive in the winter?
Very little snow in England. Ive seen lots of Morgans, never one in the winter. Most people have them for a summer toy.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The amount of Morgans I see in the frigid cold winter driving in the snow is the same amount that I see of Slingshots, T-Rex's, Can Am's and every motorcycle ever made running around in the same weather conditions. That comes down to zero. This is one of the reasons why the Elio was made. Because normal people don't drive those other things in really bad weather. Since the Elio will be a mainstream car, it will be sold in really cold and wintry climates, not just temperate ones or people that have it for just a toy for the weekends. This is why Elio covered the snow part but they did leave out the issue of the center berm of snow that is not uncommon in the winter.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The amount of Morgans I see in the frigid cold winter driving in the snow is the same amount that I see of Slingshots, T-Rex's, Can Am's and every motorcycle ever made running around in the same weather conditions. That comes down to zero. This is one of the reasons why the Elio was made. Because normal people don't drive those other things in really bad weather. Since the Elio will be a mainstream car, it will be sold in really cold and wintry climates, not just temperate ones or people that have it for just a toy for the weekends. This is why Elio covered the snow part but they did leave out the issue of the center berm of snow that is not uncommon in the winter.
Up here it could work in the city, but no way out of town. I have been driving for forty five years from motorcycles to 70 ton trucks, I would be too scared. Like you,I never seen three wheelers in the snow, sometimes motorcycles. I think a real wheel drive trike would be lots of fun in a parking lot.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Yep, I agree. That center berm in a snow covered road will make things dicey at best, particularly when the slush freezes and turns a tire track from a car changing lanes into a rock hard channel! We don't get tons of snow out here, but when/if we do, that's when the Elio will sit at home and the F250 4x4 will be the go to vehicle for getting back and forth to work [assuming that cold-hating diesel fires up! ;)].

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep, I agree. That center berm in a snow covered road will make things dicey at best, particularly when the slush freezes and turns a tire track from a car changing lanes into a rock hard channel! We don't get tons of snow out here, but when/if we do, that's when the Elio will sit at home and the F250 4x4 will be the go to vehicle for getting back and forth to work [assuming that cold-hating diesel fires up! ;)].
I think that most people would be like you and have another vehicle for the snow.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think that most people would be like you and have another vehicle for the snow.

I feel bad for the people that wouldn't have that option! I was one of those 30 years ago when I hired in at McDonnell Douglas. Drove a "no heat" California-bought Baja Bug back and forth for two years! Had an ice scrapper for the inside of the windows and kept breathing to a minimum so I could see where I was going. :rolleyes: No fun for sure, but it makes for a great story when my kids start whining about how bad they have it! :D....Oh...and it was uphill both ways! ;)

Top Bottom