1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

It’s “snow” Problem

Discussion in 'General Elio Discussion' started by Grumpy Cat, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Made in USA

Made in USA Elio Addict

A good way to test stability differences is to get into a push-up position. With your hands and feet both spread, have someone push on your hip. The lower you are to the floor the less likely they can push you over. So if you raise your butt higher, it will be easier to push you over.
    To compare to a three wheeler, put your feet together. Again, the closer to the floor the more stable. Note: Pushing on the hip represents a force similar to turning a corner in a vehicle. Granted, this is a simple demonstration, but it shows the basic physics involved as a starting point. Like others have said, steering geometry, stability systems, etc., are involved also. The Elio is long and low, and with the wide wheelbase should prove to be pretty stable. Some of the new three wheelers look too tall and short to be nearly as stable as the Elio.

ehwatt likes this.
  2. 3wheelin

3wheelin Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Well explained CrimsonEclipse. Maybe RSchneider should try this simple experiment- tie a piece of string about 6 inches or so) on a pencil and try to swing it around- with almost no forces acting on the string, it feels nothing in your hand- next tie a marble or anything with weight at the end of the string and depending how far or close the weight is tied in to the pencil, the more or less forces you can feel in your hand (acting as fulcrum).

3. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

I'm sorry guys I was applying dynamic forces with a multitude of variables as compared to static one with no more than three. I see that vehicle statics is what we are using for Elio studies.

4. CrimsonEclipse

CrimsonEclipse Elio Addict

I see you found Wikipedia.

5. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

Many years before I found Wikipedia, I found that having a BSME was quite useful too.

6. CrimsonEclipse

CrimsonEclipse Elio Addict

Time for a remedial course

7. Smitty901

Smitty901 Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    How much snow is a problem ,often depends on who is in it 3 wheels not much of a problem. For some of us.

[​IMG]

8. W. WIllie

W. WIllie Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    To me, it is easier driving on fresh snow that following the tracks in compacted ruts.

9. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

I used to have a 1980 Honda ATC. A few other friends had various trikes like it and we'd all go out on a frozen lake and have lots of fun. If you used a bunch of really short sheet metal screws with a hex head and put them in the knobbies, it gripped much better on the ice.

10. W. WIllie

W. WIllie Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    That is called "Ice racing" which they still do today, especially " in Europe.

It is basically, flat tracking with spikes.