• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

It’s “snow” Problem

ABC123

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I didn’t think about this much, since the snow plows are pretty good here in the greater Rochester, NY area. Aside from the subdivision road, that could be the hardest part of any snow drive.

But I do have an engineering question: is this really a big deal if the front wheels are pulling the center rear tire? If that single tire were pushed through the snow, I could see the berm being a factor, since the snow can grab you and take you in the ditch (been there, done that).

Luckily, I do have an AWD small SUV to call into service on snow days.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn’t think about this much, since the snow plows are pretty good here in the greater Rochester, NY area. Aside from the subdivision road, that could be the hardest part of any snow drive.

But I do have an engineering question: is this really a big deal if the front wheels are pulling the center rear tire? If that single tire were pushed through the snow, I could see the berm being a factor, since the snow can grab you and take you in the ditch (been there, done that).

Luckily, I do have an AWD small SUV to call into service on snow days.
Around here on the hi-ways, the drive tracks are bare and snow is is the middle. Changing lanes can be a challenge at times. Having a wheel in the snow mound would be impossible. On the Elio snow video, I think I would have no problem passing it with a motorcycle.

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
“But I do have an engineering question: is this really a big deal if the front wheels are pulling the center rear tire? If that single tire were pushed through the snow, I could see the berm being a factor, since the snow can grab you and take you in the ditch (been there, done that).“

I have the same question, my uneducated feeling is that the front wheel drive (and engine weight) Elio is the one, and most major positive distinction among the three wheel field. I am patiently waiting to see how ‘pushers’ such as the Sonders will do in snow, ice, and even rain.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One thing in the Elios advantage is that it has a relatively long wheelbase. If your good at math, figure that for a wheelbase half-as-long, the amount the back will move due to an obstacle would be twice as great as the Elio. So if the Elio were bumped 2", a half-as-long would move 4". This results in less correction for the operator and if the rear wheel were "stuck" in a rut (offset from the front wheels), the Elio would travel at a slighter angle than a shorter vehicle. For most of the time the Elio should be fine. Some of us do face ice now and again, but nothing works well on ice (not at highway speeds anyway). For those situations slower speed is probably best. (Well really, staying home would be best, but some of us have to work to get paid.)

ABC123

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
By ‘staggering’ the 3 wheels, when making a lane change with snow and tracks, wouldn’t I always have a least one tire in contact with the road? Once you lose the coefficient of friction, all bets are off.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One safety issue many miss when dealing with three wheelers is the fact that they are inherently less stable than a four wheeler. In short - they are more likely to tip or roll over. The Elio has a nice long wheelbase and a wide track to lessen this issue. In addition, it has a full steel body for rollover protection (think roll-bar). Many of the other three wheelers are trying to pass themselves off as motorcycles and are therefore not concerned with rollover safety. Obviously motorcycles are not a good vehicle to have an accident in. You are exposed, but on the other hand you might be safely ejected in some cases. An "enclosed" motorcycle (not to be confused with autocycle) will more likely trap the occupant's due to less weight and structural supports. If and when the NTSB looks into these vehicles they will make regulation changes to improve safety, probably eliminating enclosed vehicles from the motorcycle classification. The result will be a poor resell value for any three wheeler considered unsafe by the general public. The Elio, while being designed to be relatively safe, will then have to continuously educate the public to differentiate themselves from the three wheelers with safety issues. If the Elio does not get to market soon, I'm afraid that the other three wheelers may make the market too inhospitable if they have safety issues. Oh, and it probably will not matter much if the vehicle is powered by an ICE or a battery. A battery placed low may offer a little bit better center of gravity, but roll-over concerns will still exist.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do not believe snow pack will be an issue with the front wheels at least. With the wheel wells vibrating with any bump in the road, it should stay clear. Snow accumulation in the back wheel well might be a concern. Might be an opportunity for a wheel well deicer to be invented, perhaps using exhaust heat.

How about a rear ski?

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One safety issue many miss when dealing with three wheelers is the fact that they are inherently less stable than a four wheeler. In short - they are more likely to tip or roll over. The Elio has a nice long wheelbase and a wide track to lessen this issue. In addition, it has a full steel body for rollover protection (think roll-bar). Many of the other three wheelers are trying to pass themselves off as motorcycles and are therefore not concerned with rollover safety. Obviously motorcycles are not a good vehicle to have an accident in. You are exposed, but on the other hand you might be safely ejected in some cases. An "enclosed" motorcycle (not to be confused with autocycle) will more likely trap the occupant's due to less weight and structural supports. If and when the NTSB looks into these vehicles they will make regulation changes to improve safety, probably eliminating enclosed vehicles from the motorcycle classification. The result will be a poor resell value for any three wheeler considered unsafe by the general public. The Elio, while being designed to be relatively safe, will then have to continuously educate the public to differentiate themselves from the three wheelers with safety issues. If the Elio does not get to market soon, I'm afraid that the other three wheelers may make the market too inhospitable if they have safety issues. Oh, and it probably will not matter much if the vehicle is powered by an ICE or a battery. A battery placed low may offer a little bit better center of gravity, but roll-over concerns will still exist.
How is two wheels in the front and one wheel in the back less stable?

How would it be more impossible to get out of a roll over crash in the Elio? There are something called windows where you can roll down or smash open. Or are you talking about other 3 wheelers that aren't made to be as safe as the Elio?

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The forcast here for the next three nights... minus 3, minus 4, and a balmy minus 12 on Saturday night.
With the wind, the "RealFeel" is -28, -27 and -11 respectfully. Western PA. What's in your immediate future?

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The forcast here for the next three nights... minus 3, minus 4, and a balmy minus 12 on Saturday night.
With the wind, the "RealFeel" is -28, -27 and -11 respectfully. Western PA. What's in your immediate future?
I was in VT and it got to 5 one day. Other than that, -15 to 0. now it's super windy and going to be around 5 to 15 for the next 2 days. Plus, snow is blowing everywhere, so there are those two ruts with the berm in the middle and then just completely covered.

Top Bottom