• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Just For The Cat Lovers Here

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did some major changes to my first post; figured it was supposed to be about the cats; I slipped up a little and had it about me and Techie.
So here's the link to the changed version

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/just-for-the-cat-lovers-here.6702/
WhenI was a volunteer fireman (upstate NY) we'd get a call now and again to rescue a cat in a tree, The chief would tell 'em the risk wasn't worth the gain, and besides "have you ever seen a cat skeliton in a tree"

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Our cats go outside, but only to the back yard. I built this fence top "retainer" that keeps them from getting out, and any other cats from getting in.
Total price to do my whole back yard? About $300; it's all 1/2" PVC, plastic deer netting and wire ties.

View attachment 7447

How hard is it to clean in the autumn when it fills up with leaves?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cat People Have Some Distinct Personality Traits, Research Says
[Broken External Image]
Kate BratskeirFood and Health Editor, The Huffington Post
Posted: 11/02/2015 10:09 AM EST
Cats are unpredictable, but that's not entirely true of cat owners. So-called "cat people" tend to share a lot of the same personality traits, as studies have proven having a cat at home can say a lot about a person's character, health and dating life.

For example, Newsy reports in the video above that research shows cat owners often exhibit introverted qualities, especially compared to dog owners, who tend to be more outgoing and energetic. Cat owners have also been found to be smarter, more sensitive and more non-conformist than their canine-loving counterparts.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Cat People Have Some Distinct Personality Traits, Research Says
[Broken External Image]
Kate BratskeirFood and Health Editor, The Huffington Post
Posted: 11/02/2015 10:09 AM EST
Cats are unpredictable, but that's not entirely true of cat owners. So-called "cat people" tend to share a lot of the same personality traits, as studies have proven having a cat at home can say a lot about a person's character, health and dating life.
For example, Newsy reports in the video above that research shows cat owners often exhibit introverted qualities, especially compared to dog owners, who tend to be more outgoing and energetic. Cat owners have also been found to be smarter, more sensitive and more non-conformist than their canine-loving counterparts.

Cat owners have also been found to be smarter, more sensitive and more non-conformist than their canine-loving counterparts.

That bolded line is me in a nutshell :thumb:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WhenI was a volunteer fireman (upstate NY) we'd get a call now and again to rescue a cat in a tree, The chief would tell 'em the risk wasn't worth the gain, and besides "have you ever seen a cat skeliton in a tree"
Our cat twenty years ago climbed up a Douglas Fir about 80 feet, then yowled at us from there. I've seen dozens of cats work their way down trunks like that, so I told the wife to ignore her, she'll come down when she's ready. Two hours later, I didn't like hearing a huge 'thump' in the back yard, but 30 seconds later, 'meyow' at the back door. She was fine. No signs of damage ever afterward. (but never went up that tree again.)
I love my cats, hate to see them receive pain, but on this planet, if an animal can climb up something natural like a tree, mostly likely, they have a biological plan to survive it.
Now, I always go out and try and talk them down. Surprisingly, it often works.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Our cat twenty years ago climbed up a Douglas Fir about 80 feet, then yowled at us from there. I've seen dozens of cats work their way down trunks like that, so I told the wife to ignore her, she'll come down when she's ready. Two hours later, I didn't like hearing a huge 'thump' in the back yard, but 30 seconds later, 'meyow' at the back door. She was fine. No signs of damage ever afterward. (but never went up that tree again.)
I love my cats, hate to see them receive pain, but on this planet, if an animal can climb up something natural like a tree, mostly likely, they have a biological plan to survive it.
Now, I always go out and try and talk them down. Surprisingly, it often works.
What happens sometimes is that they get really caught up in chasing something and don't pay any attention to what they're doing to go after it. When the "target" flies away (in the case of a bird) or jumps off to an area the cats can't get to (in the case of a squirrel) the cat will realize "WTF am I doing up here?" The long hair cat (Squeak) got up in our Pear tree and was having a hard time getting down; at one point the branch she grabbed onto broke and she tumbled for about 3 to 4 feet through little branches till she got one that would hold her. It was that snap and following noise we heard and went out to see what happened. We watched her continue to climb down and when she got to a lowest branch she jumped into my arms. She hasn't climbed a tree since. Cats are smart; a lot smarter than most people give the credit for.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
She hasn't climbed a tree since. Cats are smart; a lot smarter than most people give the credit for.
Or as Mark Twain once wrote, something to the effect of, "If a cat jumps on a hot stove once, she'll never jump on a hot stove again. She won't jump on a cold one, either."

Top Bottom