• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Just For The Cat Lovers Here

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What happens sometimes is that they get really caught up in chasing something and don't pay any attention to what they're doing to go after it. When the "target" flies away (in the case of a bird) or jumps off to an area the cats can't get to (in the case of a squirrel) the cat will realize "WTF am I doing up here?" The long hair cat (Squeak) got up in our Pear tree and was having a hard time getting down; at one point the branch she grabbed onto broke and she tumbled for about 3 to 4 feet through little branches till she got one that would hold her. It was that snap and following noise we heard and went out to see what happened. We watched her continue to climb down and when she got to a lowest branch she jumped into my arms. She hasn't climbed a tree since. Cats are smart; a lot smarter than most people give the credit for.
Add to smart, the sounds they make when stalking birds, I read that it is an attempt to try and make bird sounds to be able to more easily go for their pray.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
my kids have warned me one more cat, and I'll be that crazy old man ya see on the tv!! It's a slippery slope, (when Igo to Petco, I either walk around the adoptees or turn my head.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of birds...

CROW FACTS ...... Interesting

Researchers for the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority found over 200
dead crows near greater Boston recently, and there was concern that they
may have died from Avian Flu.

A Bird Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to
everyone's relief, confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian
Flu. The cause of death appeared to be vehicular impacts.

However, during the detailed analysis it was noted that varying colors
of paints appeared on the bird's beaks and claws. By analyzing these
paint residues it was determined that 98% of the crows had been killed
by impact with trucks, while only 2% were killed by an impact with a car.

MTA then hired an Ornithological Behaviorist to determine if there was
a cause for the disproportionate percentages of truck kills versus car
kills.

He very quickly concluded the cause: When crows eat road kill, they
always have a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending
danger. They discovered that while all the lookout crows could shout
"Cah", not a single one could shout "Truck."

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of birds...

CROW FACTS ...... Interesting

Researchers for the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority found over 200
dead crows near greater Boston recently, and there was concern that they
may have died from Avian Flu.

A Bird Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to
everyone's relief, confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian
Flu. The cause of death appeared to be vehicular impacts.

However, during the detailed analysis it was noted that varying colors
of paints appeared on the bird's beaks and claws. By analyzing these
paint residues it was determined that 98% of the crows had been killed
by impact with trucks, while only 2% were killed by an impact with a car.

MTA then hired an Ornithological Behaviorist to determine if there was
a cause for the disproportionate percentages of truck kills versus car
kills.

He very quickly concluded the cause: When crows eat road kill, they
always have a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending
danger. They discovered that while all the lookout crows could shout
"Cah", not a single one could shout "Truck."

OUCH- that's why we have a joke thread!!
BTW they are one of the smartest animals.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I copied that joke to my family, because my Dad was from Boston and kept his accent even after marrying my Mom and moving to Iowa, and he graciously passed it on to all his children. Every speech contest I went to, I had people asking if I was American because that Boston (or rather, "Bawst'n") accent just sounded so strange to Iowan ears.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I copied that joke to my family, because my Dad was from Boston and kept his accent even after marrying my Mom and moving to Iowa, and he graciously passed it on to all his children. Every speech contest I went to, I had people asking if I was American because that Boston (or rather, "Bawst'n") accent just sounded so strange to Iowan ears.
Iowan Ears?? why heck isn't that a field of corn?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A bit weird that this thread just came to the top of the "what's new" list.

I've just had a call from my son; he went outside in the dark and found two small kittens taped up in a box on his driveway. The weather is appalling, heavy rain and strong wind. We and he aren't cat people, allergy/asthma problems from the dander on their fur.

But how can anyone dump small helpless animals like this? :mad:

He's taken them in and gone to see a neighbour with two cats of their own, who has kindly helped out with some food for them, which they've just gobbled down.
OK, we're on for the best cat/kitten rescue stories...My first submission is;
It was late Autumn, I was just leaving work at Boeing in Auburn, Washington(State). it's huge lot, and in such a lot, every so often there will be a cat catch a ride. Especially if they find a car to be warm the night before.
So I'm walking up to the guard gate as I leave, just as some woman is holding a kitten up to the guard's face saying ,"But what do I do with it?" And the guard had that look like, what are you asking me for, lady?
It was a very cute medium hair kitten Black with touches of Brown. I was kind of appalled at the ineptitude. At lease the lady was concerned, even if quite confused. With out missing a step on my way, I just took it out of her hands saying "I know what to do with it." I'm thinking, feed it and figure that out later duh!

Turned out, the kitten had rode to the lot from inside an engine compartment. She had slightly burned toes, and she wasn't black and brown at all. After about two baths removing all the engine oil, she was Brown and white. My wife named her Terra, because she was covered in 'it'. Very sweet and nice cat. We kept her of course.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the two kittens stayed overnight at my son's place and are living it up. He rang home this morning to give his mother a progress report while he and his partner were getting ready for work. While he was talking, one kitten attacked him from behind and climbed all the way up his back, digging its claws in as it went. The other little monster tried to climb my son's partner's leg, snagging holes her new tights (she's just started a new job, too).
The local cat rescue centre has already been contacted! :D
Kittens didn't want them to leave; they've already started bonding.

On a lighter note, found this today

"I May Have Found My New Secretary ;-)
Julie E. H.
This is purr-fect. Seriously. The phone keeps ringing and since no one is answering it, the cat must do what she has to. LOL. The best is her expression when she’s done nudging the phone into position…and then politely leaves. HILARIOUS! I think she may have a future in tech support. What do you think?

She just wanted it to stop making noise; mission accomplished :thumb:

Top Bottom