• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Just Wow!!!

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like it's just what you read on the forums and there's no real idea as to why. Sounds like an opinion as opposed to what it really happening. This leads me to the next paragraph. Forums are the worst place to determine if it's a reliable vehicle. People rarely post about the greatness and only highlight the problems. Thus it seems like a major problem from looking at it from the outside. I find that an official Ford mechanic that is not biased, will give you an honest opinion of the vehicle in question. Then for the people you know that actually own the product. I know both and so far, the Ecoboost twin turbo V6 in a truck or the car is not that bad (the Ford mechanic owns both and if it was a junker, he wouldn't own it). As for the potential future Elio motor, Ford barely sold them in the US, so there's not many out there. Thus, you have to look at what the Europeans think because they sell lots of them there. Look at the German or French Ford forums and you might get an idea as to the real problems with that motor are. Even at that, they will only bring up the problems and not the good things. You have to filter out the information and go from there.

If it's that you just don't like Ford or that anything but a normally aspirated V8 is all that can only be had in a truck, then the Ecoboost is a piece of junk. If you can look past that, then it's not that bad. If the Elio is using to have a twin Turbo V6 Ecoboost in it, then we can talk about that engine and discuss the future problems.

I have a feeling Elio will not be shoehorning that 325hp drivetrain from their sedan into the Elio. If they do, then I have a feeling that the fun factor will override the reliability issues that will happen. A sub 2000lb car with a 325hp motor will make the Elio a supercar in performance. All of that for $7450, would be something they could sell 1M per year.

Riiiiiiiiiiight....

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
then we now know. No Ecoboost for the Elio because they are unreliable. What Fortune 500 Engine are they going to use then since we can't have a Ford?

Last edited by a moderator:

Officespaced

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully it's not a Ford Ecoboost They are not reliable.
Where's your statistical data on not being reliable? Ford EcoBoost is a family of engines, which are unique between themselves, but collectively share design attributes such as all being turbo-driven. Back up your claim with verifiable, statistical data.

The Fox family of the 1.0L EcoBoost comes in 99HP, 123HP, and 140HP variants. The first two would fall right in line with Elio's statement about the increased horsepower as compared to their internally developed engine of 55HP. It will be interesting to see how this affects the Elio's 90% America-Made source rate. None of these small engines, including potential from other vendors such as Mitsubishi, are currently made state-side. Nothing was said, that I'm aware of, that the Linamar-sourced engine was going to be made here; they are a Canadian company.

A couple of years ago, I had the pleasure of driving a 3-cylinder EcoBoost Fiesta on a business trip in Utah. The Fiesta is normally not my type of car, but it was responsive and surprisingly fun in the drive from the airport, ski-resort and back. My daily driver is a 2017 Mustang GT with custom exhaust, Shelby Manifold/Throttle Body, cold air intake and custom engine tune. No Brembos; yet... Since Ford announcing they are abandoning the North American car market, other than the Mustang, it may make sense to recover the 1.0L development costs/revenue stream to a third party that at least in North America, they are looking to exit.

That being said, choosing Roush as a partner to fit the third-party engine to an Elio prototype is interesting. Roush has previously been employed by Elio, irrespective to anything to do with Ford, to improve the platform. Roush as you know, has another business line for high-performance Ford products such as the Mustang, but that's not all they do. Up until now, Roush has not outfitted any Ford EcoBoost engine variants to their vehicle options. Elio/Ford experience is not on their side there. However, they obviously have a relationship with Ford. If I were a betting person, I think they odds of a Ford-sourced EcoBoost platform for the Elio are distinctly positive.

My girlfriend owns a 2015 EcoBoost Mustang, which is a 2.3L power plant. Not a single engine problem in over three years of spirited driving. She's a lead foot! It's fun to drive, but lacks the deep growl of the Coyote V8 that I'm fond of. I'm not explicitly a Ford Guy, but do like Mustangs; this is my third one. If I could afford my favorite track car, a McLaren 650S, a car I've tracked and is a twin-turbo V8, I would.

Prior to current stable, my last Mustang was a 2006 V-6 "Secretary's Special", with no upgrades other than exhaust. That engine, much like most of the 1.0L EcoBoost motors built today, was made in Cologne, Germany. Over 11 years, it was the most dependable car I've every owned (going on 18 vehicles..). Three sets of tires, rear brake job, an alternator, fluid changes and three batteries; that's it. I logged over 150K miles before giving it up. Even then had mixed emotions, in consideration of how well it had behaved. Alas, I really wanted a V8, "Last of the V8's! -Mad Max" my last petrol-based engine before going electric. Trivia note, the Mad Max Interceptor is an Australian Ford Falcon XB GT Coupe.

Of course, it's easy to find Joe Next Door who had the complete opposite experience. Modern Cars, in most respects including reliability, are miles ahead, pun intended, of what came before them.

"She's the duck's guts!"

Last edited:

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Where's your statistical data on not being reliable? Ford EcoBoost is a family of engines, which are unique between themselves, but collectively share design attributes such as all being turbo-driven. Back up your claim with verifiable, statistical data.

The Fox family of the 1.0L EcoBoost comes in 99HP, 123HP, and 140HP variants. The first two would fall right in line with Elio's statement about the increased horsepower as compared to their internally developed engine of 55HP. It will be interesting to see how this affects the Elio's 90% America-Made source rate. None of these small engines, including potential from other vendors such as Mitsubishi, are currently made state-side. Nothing was said, that I'm aware of, that the Linamar-sourced engine was going to be made here; they are a Canadian company.

A couple of years ago, I had the pleasure of driving a 3-cylinder EcoBoost Fiesta on a business trip in Utah. The Fiesta is normally not my type of car, but it was responsive and surprisingly fun in the drive from the airport, ski-resort and back. My daily driver is a 2017 Mustang GT with custom exhaust, Shelby Manifold/Throttle Body, cold air intake and custom engine tune. No Brembos; yet... Since Ford announcing they are abandoning the North American car market, other than the Mustang, it may make sense to recover the 1.0L development costs/revenue stream to a third party that at least in North America, they are looking to exit.

That being said, choosing Roush as a partner to fit the third-party engine to an Elio prototype is interesting. Roush has previously been employed by Elio, irrespective to anything to do with Ford, to improve the platform. Roush as you know, has another business line for high-performance Ford products such as the Mustang, but that's not all they do. Up until now, Roush has not outfitted any Ford EcoBoost engine variants to their vehicle options. Elio/Ford experience is not on their side there. However, they obviously have a relationship with Ford. If I were a betting person, I think they odds of a Ford-sourced EcoBoost platform for the Elio are distinctly positive.

My girlfriend owns a 2015 EcoBoost Mustang, which is a 2.3L power plant. Not a single engine problem in over three years of spirited driving. She's a lead foot! It's fun to drive, but lacks the deep growl of the Coyote V8 that I'm fond of. I'm not explicitly a Ford Guy, but do like Mustangs; this is my third one. If I could afford my favorite track car, a McLaren 650S, a car I've tracked and is a twin-turbo V8, I would.

Prior to current stable, my last Mustang was a 2006 V-6 "Secretary's Special", with no upgrades other than exhaust. That engine, much like most of the 1.0L EcoBoost motors built today, was made in Cologne, Germany. Over 11 years, it was the most dependable car I've every owned (going on 18 vehicles..). Three sets of tires, rear brake job, an alternator, fluid changes and three batteries; that's it. I logged over 150K miles before giving it up. Even then had mixed emotions, in consideration of how well it had behaved. Alas, I really wanted a V8, "Last of the V8's! -Mad Max" my last petrol-based engine before going electric. Trivia note, the Mad Max Interceptor is an Australian Ford Falcon XB GT Coupe.

Of course, it's easy to find Joe Next Door who had the complete opposite experience. Modern Cars, in most respects including reliability, are miles ahead, pun intended, of what came before them.

"She's the duck's guts!"

Thanks for the video, mate. I wish it had subtitles as I don't speak moron....

Top Bottom