• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Just Wow!!!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't deny that there is a lot of attraction to the Ford Ecoboost, but thinking about alternative options...
I don't know engines very well, but what about a 100hp v-twin? Not fuel efficient enough I suppose...
The V-Twins vibrate quite a bit which most people don't want in their car.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good find but it's not nearly double the performance and that motor is made in China. So, for what Elio has spec'd out, that would not work for the North American Content and with the trade war with China, could make the Elio go beyond the $7450 MSRP.

If I was running Elio, I'd choose that motor on an instant because it makes the most sense and will get everyone their Elio much sooner. Specs can be changed and I doubt anyone would care if the 90% NAFTA requirement would go down and have a Chinese motor in their Elio.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I might be the only one - but I don’t want a Chinese engine in my Elio. I’d have to pass on the Elio if a Chinese engine was the only option. But that’s just me....

I’ve helped the Chinese economy enough over the years.
Is Romania OK? Ford does make the 3 cylinder in Romania, China and Germany. I can tell you that if Ford is chosen the motor will not come from the German plant. You got to deal with the Germans to understand.

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I might be the only one - but I don’t want a Chinese engine in my Elio. I’d have to pass on the Elio if a Chinese engine was the only option. But that’s just me....

I’ve helped the Chinese economy enough over the years.

So, what I am hearing here it that unless Elio finishes designing and building their own engine, some people are not going to happy or are not going to be interested in purchasing any longer? From what I gather either these 1.0 motors are made by foreign companies, or if made by America companies, they are assembled over seas. That doesn't leave many options. I mean, everyone was going to be happy with a Geo engine at one point for crying out loud.

Last edited:
Top Bottom