• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Just Wow!!!

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I googled that and came up with a article that made very interesting reading. Even though it appeared on a jalopnik site it was very positive about the engine and reading between and on the lines it seems like it is ideal for the Elio. Ford must have excess production capacity and a stock of parts so building this engine for Elio would be a win-win for both of them. I am not a Ford lover and will not be buying a Ford. I got my money down on an Elio! I don't care who made the parts. Since we seem to be on the fast track towards production I wonder how many people who have money down on the Elio would pay the balance to help get things going even faster. There are 65k of us and I, for one, would cheerfully send Paul a check for whatever I still owe on a bright red Elio!
I'd rather finance through ELIO a bright creamsicle Elio, I presume that will be an option for the 65k+ reservationists as well.

Last edited:

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember when Jason interviewed Elio and asked him about the Elio engine. We had a discussion on that here. I agree that this is a good decision, and thus the previous was a mistake that should be admitted.
https://jalopnik.com/elio-announces-partnership-with-fortune-500-oem-to-prov-1829359265
Maybe not a mistake, but an opportunity created by this country's love affair with trucks and SUVs. Ecoboost may be it, award winning tech & no longer a lost cost for Ford due to their withdrawal from small car market in the US.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for re-earthing the link to the offer. I have the $7K price and did the binding agreement and got a conformation email.

So back to my original question, I have a $7K base price, excluding my $500 bonus, therefore Elio can make all the modifications they want like a different drivetrain or whatever, but they will have to honor the binding contract . .right?
Bailing on those commitments would probably be grounds for a win-able class action suit.
So one would hope (and I believe) that our lock-ins are safe. You mean this email?

"Thank you for completing the binding commitment with Elio Motors.
We have received your response and there is no additional action needed.
You are good to go and locked in at $7,000 for your Elio All In reservation(s).

Thank you for your continued support,

The Elio Marketing Team"

Last edited:

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
German drivetrain = nein danke for me. All of our opinions are shaped by personal experience. Mine haven't been good with vehicles from Germany.

What happened that the original engine was abandoned? I thought it was nearly finished.

Sr.MailMan

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If they double the HP, then they may also have to enlarge the exhaust and muffler. What bothers me most is that they were expecting to invest another $124,000,000.00 in engineering for their own design. I thought the engine was mostly developed and only needed tuning. Maybe better valves or something. I'm guessing that the prototype was nowhere near working the way they wanted.

A third party drivetrain may or may not include the transaxle. I also wonder if Elio will supply the engine computer or if it will come from the third party. If from the third party, and the engine was designed for a "car", then maybe the OBDC (On Board Diagnostics Computer) will have a bunch of requirements to function properly. This may complicate things for the home mechanic. If a third party OBDC is used, would Elio still need another computer for the rest of the vehicle?

The really good thing about them using a third party is that it opens the door to a future electric drivetrain too. (After prices have dropped).

This is where Roush comes into the picture. They will calibrate/map the whole system to get the required mpg that would not be possible with a ECU designed for a heavier vehicle and the running gear (transmission,axles,etc.) must be able to hold the increased power.

webartist

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Correct. With a $1K All-In deposit, my $500 bonus and the binding agreement, the remaining price for my base model Elio should be $5,500. I will add some options but I sure hope Elio Motors can make it.

Last edited:

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Correct. With a $1K All-In deposit, my $500 bonus and the binding agreement, the remaining price for my base model Elio should be $5,500. I will add some options but I sure hope Elio Motors can make it.

Don't Worry, Be Happy!....
MY FIRST LINE....I purchased May 2014 "All In" locked in at 7K,..... I did this a few times over the years....:violin::rockon::roll:

Top Bottom