• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Kandi Electric

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have contacted both and it's very murky. I just worry that having such a great product can be ruined if the customers have a problem after the sale. Assuming that all owners will wrench on their own car is not the way to go. Many do not have the ability, space or desire to do so. Why would I wrench on my brand new FUV when I wouldn't if I bought a brand new Versa. I can buy a new Versa for $12K right now but a FUV is $20K. Pay more to work on it myself?

Only reason I got an I3 is because I bought it at salvage and got it dirt cheap. I know what i was getting into. If I would have bought it new and it broke, I would not be fixing it myself if it was under warranty. This is an issue that these new companies need to address. Elio already has and they are 100% covered with service, warranty and factory trained technicians. As for these others, It's a mystery and that tells me they are hoping everything will work out for a future program rollout.
When EMV starts delivering the first 5k units this year (mine included) I'll make sure to inform everybody how GOOD....or BAD service is under or after warranty!

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm just trying to be realistic. I bet everyone here has bought something in their life that when it broke, it turned out to be a real challenge to get it fixed. These EV's are a pretty good investment and when it does break, you want to make sure it can get back up and running without jumping through hoops or have it sidelined for a month. Service after the sale is important to most people.In this day of age of social media, when something breaks, the world knows about it and it's worse if the service is not there.

I see this all of the time in manufacturing. About 10 years ago we seen a flood of cheap Chinese parts that were too good for people to pass up on. Then when they found the parts would break, that the service was spotty at best and having an assembly line down because you could have bought the name brand item it a tough pill to swallow.

As for these startups and especially this Kandi, I would just be cautious as to the service and warranty after you purchase the item and ask questions plus conform before you purchase.

If you want a good example, just look up anything that has to do with Chinese Scooters or Generators. Work great until the break and then you pretty much have to go on a scavenger hunt for parts and forget about anyone wanting to work on them.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm just trying to be realistic. I bet everyone here has bought something in their life that when it broke, it turned out to be a real challenge to get it fixed. These EV's are a pretty good investment and when it does break, you want to make sure it can get back up and running without jumping through hoops or have it sidelined for a month. Service after the sale is important to most people.In this day of age of social media, when something breaks, the world knows about it and it's worse if the service is not there.

I see this all of the time in manufacturing. About 10 years ago we seen a flood of cheap Chinese parts that were too good for people to pass up on. Then when they found the parts would break, that the service was spotty at best and having an assembly line down because you could have bought the name brand item it a tough pill to swallow.

As for these startups and especially this Kandi, I would just be cautious as to the service and warranty after you purchase the item and ask questions plus conform before you purchase.

If you want a good example, just look up anything that has to do with Chinese Scooters or Generators. Work great until the break and then you pretty much have to go on a scavenger hunt for parts and forget about anyone wanting to work on them.
Do you have the same realistic view regarding the Elio startup as you do with Kandi, SOLO, and the FUV?

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Case in Point. My son worked on Chinese electric scooters for a while. Now he has a collection of scooters that he is saving for parts. I don't see them anymore so they must be DOA somewhere.:(

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score

You make it sound like people does not do their own research or does not have the same concern- did it ever occur to you that EMV has this covered that they know fully well the implication of not properly setting up convenient service centers could spell doom to their company? People are a lot smarter than you think!

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Case in Point. My son worked on Chinese electric scooters for a while. Now he has a collection of scooters that he is saving for parts. I don't see them anymore so they must be DOA somewhere.:(
All I can say is stay away from what you don't like- works every time for me- SOLO may very well be Chinese made but I like it so I'm prepared for the unexpected.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Chinese manufacturing can be as good or bad as USA manufacturing. Harley Davidson contracts with Zongshen to build bikes. If the SOLO is built to EMV specs and exported to the USA there is no issue regarding Chinese manufacturing of the SOLO. The quality control issue stops with EMV not with their contracted manufacturer wherever that may be.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You make it sound like people does not do their own research or does not have the same concern- did it ever occur to you that EMV has this covered that they know fully well the implication of not properly setting up convenient service centers could spell doom to their company? People are a lot smarter than you think!
Trust me, some very smart people have bought items and then find out the service after the sale is not there or really sub par. I'm not smart at all and have taken the chance on items that I really should have known that they might become a problem. I tend to look at people like me that don't do research and hope for the best. I'm just trying to warn the ones like me to just be careful and do that homework like the smart people do.

Top Bottom