• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Kandi Electric

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All I can say is stay away from what you don't like- works every time for me- SOLO may very well be Chinese made but I like it so I'm prepared for the unexpected.
The SOLO appeals to me, but would have to test drive to confirm I like it or buy it. Most everyone that has test driven it or purchased one of the first 100 SOLOs indicate they like it very much.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Chinese manufacturing can be as good or bad as USA manufacturing. Harley Davidson contracts with Zongshen to build bikes. If the SOLO is built to EMV specs and exported to the USA there is no issue regarding Chinese manufacturing of the SOLO. The quality control issue stops with EMV not with their contracted manufacturer wherever that may be.
There's nothing wrong wit Chinese manufacturing. I've spent months at a time there working with them and have seen a side that probably most would rather not want to see. For me it's not as much as the manufacturing but the after sales support. Even the best widgets sold do fail right out of the box and if there's limited support for them, then they are worthless. This is why the new EV manufacturers need to be on par with what people in the US expect. If they are, then everything is fine. Last thing anyone wants is for their EV to be a Craigslist special in 3 years from now.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong wit Chinese manufacturing. I've spent months at a time there working with them and have seen a side that probably most would rather not want to see. For me it's not as much as the manufacturing but the after sales support. Even the best widgets sold do fail right out of the box and if there's limited support for them, then they are worthless. This is why the new EV manufacturers need to be on par with what people in the US expect. If they are, then everything is fine. Last thing anyone wants is for their EV to be a Craigslist special in 3 years from now.
Well, you don't have to wait long to find out if you're right or wrong because EMV will start delivering Chinese built production SOLO under the watchful eyes of their Canadian company EMV this year.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, you don't have to wait long to find out if you're right or wrong because EMV will start delivering Chinese built production SOLO under the watchful eyes of their Canadian company EMV this year.
I just got a reply from Electra Meccanica regarding my question about service centers:
EMV- "we are working on a service center PARTNERSHIP across North America . We will keep you posted. Cheers."
All you gotta do is ask! ;)

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After the sale customer service holds true with all the vehicle startups, including Elio. If you like the vehicle, trust the startup to do what they say regarding production, delivery, parts and service your good to go.
E6C458E3-44EF-4FA6-9F15-7988AFAE6EBC.jpeg

Heck, If I bought a Tesla today, I’m so far from a regional sales and service center I would have to rely upon a Tesla Ranger to service the vehicle in my driveway. EMV and Arcimoto have solid business plans that are working and for the time being they both have my trust

Last edited:

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After the sale customer service holds true with all the vehicle startups, including Elio. If you like the vehicle, trust the startup to do what they say regarding production, delivery, parts and service your good to go.

Heck, If I bought a Tesla today, I’m so far from a regional sales and service center I would have to rely upon a Tesla Ranger to service the vehicle in my driveway. EMV and Arcimoto have solid business plans that are working and for the time being they both have my trust

Will they still send Rangers out that far for free? We had a Ranger come out and put on our winter tires, and separately replace my wife's driver's side mirror. It was awesome, but I thought they charged a fee if it was over 100 miles or something like that.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will they still send Rangers out that far for free? We had a Ranger come out and put on our winter tires, and separately replace my wife's driver's side mirror. It was awesome, but I thought they charged a fee if it was over 100 miles or something like that.
I’m 315 miles from a Tesla Sales/Service Center and the main reason I haven’t purchased a Tesla. My neighbor is a Tesla owner and has used a Ranger that is located within 30 miles of our homes. He gives his couple of Ranger service experiences two thumbs up, but I will have to ask him about the fee structure. He says the only issue he has with the Tesla is he and his wife argue over who’s going to drive it to work in the mornings. :)

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any ideas which service company EMV chose to partner with to service their SOLOs??? Pep Boys???? :D EM got PEP BOYS to service their ELIOs....unfortunately there's nothing to service at the moment! :(

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guess the problem I have is I live out in the sticks. It takes me 90 minutes to get to the tiny towns of NYC and Philly. For some reason FUV, Solo or Kandi don't have a service center for me to go to when non EV items like the gearbox, electronics, suspension or body gives me a problem. Last time I checked, the Tesla still has issues when it comes to the regular car areas that have nothing to do with it being an EV or ICE.

If I buy a Vanderhall, Slingshot or Elio, then I got service centers that are 10- 60 minutes away. I know the Elio does not exist but the other two three wheelers do.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like the Vanderhall or Slingshot meets your needs with convenient servicing options in the sticks. Elio is a long time out on delivery. The FUV was a hoot to drive with as or more ‘Old Guy’ driver comfort than my SUV. I have a local ASE Certified Auto Technician available to handle nuts and bolts issues with help from Arcimoto’s on-line Tech Support if needed. The parts, beyond those Arcimoto fabricates in-house, are off the shelf and readily available. It sounds as though the current FUV owners are finding the vehicle to be very reliable. Arcimoto has a Servicing Plan roll out in the works as they expand their delivery area. I’m a fully aware early adopter. If I can’t get it repaired, I’ll use it as patio decor, seating for two, and as a reminder of the 10 years I spent following it’s R&D. Regarding electric motorcycle/autocycle ownership:

3686265D-9A65-4AE3-AE68-45DB5E992642.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom