• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Key?

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
13639_0_02.jpe

My personal favorite for normal key this one below
8193004367_eda2407666_z.jpg

As long as they don't use GM's defective switch i don't care.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Man! I've been searching around trying to find a good deal on a NSX for years! Wicked cool car that one is !:cool:

The market went up on them I remember when a good early model could be had for 20K now 30K+ Its one of the cars I have always wanted.I drove a Alex Zanardi edition once.

Lets not forget the most famous NSX owner
Senna_NSX.jpg

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Locks only keep honest people honest
That's demonstrably not true for cars. Adoption of RFID-based immobilizers have made it much more difficult for dishonest people to steal cars, so actual car theft rates have dropped dramatically since about 1990. The most frequently-stolen cars now are older cars without chip-in-key RFID immobilizers. Unlike the GM PassKey system, modern non-contact RFID immobilizers are robust and reliable.

Yes, of course nothing will stop a determined thief, but most auto thieves are not determined which is why they steal cars instead of run for office!

I guarantee the Elio will at least have an RFID immobilizer ("chip key"). It will be much more expensive to insure if it doesn't.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Like all of the parts on this vehicle, it should be a simple key lock and ignition with the OPTION of having remote and/or keyless entry.

Personally, I detest keyless entry, but I'm not one to stop EM from making additional money on the option.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Locks only keep honest people honest
Locks are a deterrent, they prevent the easiest point of access from being accessed without permission.
'Better locks' are better at doing that, but only that - there are diminishing returns.
Once the locked door is no longer the easiest point of entry, it will get bypassed by using an easier one.

Regarding Property Theft:

Let's say I want to get into your car.
If it has garbage door locks, I'll rake it open in seconds, or maybe even just force the cylinder with a screwdriver. I'll do this because it's fast and quiet.
Improve the lock mechanism? I'll use a slim jim to bypass the cylinder and go straight for the mechanism via the window - because it's relatively fast and quiet.
Guard against slim jims? I'll wedge open the door frame from the top rear and use a fiberglass rod to pop the lock - because it's relatively quiet.

Prevent that? I'll just break your window. Because it's fast, and I want your things.

But at some point along the way, you have to ask if it's worth the effort and risk involved.
We're talking about a 6800 'car'.
All they (Elio) need to do is make it more effort than it's worth - no more, no less.
More to the point, they need to make it take as least as much effort as the car parked next to you.

This goes back to using existing - proven - technology, source preexisting (readily available) parts, and creating an affordable vehicle.

Regarding Auto Theft:

Most of the above applies to actually stealing the car as well.
Assume the door will be opened, because it will - worst case with some broken glass.
Maybe it can be started - brute force ripping apart the wheel, jigglers, RFID hacking, whatever.
Maybe it can't, but even so - it can get towed/lifted onto a trailer with minimal difficulty.
The question is would it be worth it for someone to steal this car?

I mean, there are 3 scenarios in my head:
  1. chop it up and sell for parts
  2. fake the vin somehow or ship overseas
  3. joy ride or keep and drive illegally
1. What part of the car is going to be worth the labor involved to sell them for under retail? The tiny tires? The catalytic converter? Floor mats?
2. How high can resale value possibly be? It's going to be less than a new one, unless supply is crippled.
3. Most likely scenario, in my opinion, but really - it's a 900cc trike that takes 10 seconds to reach 60 and can't really carry cargo. If I were going to steal a car - for any reason - probably not the one I'd choose.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Like all of the parts on this vehicle, it should be a simple key lock and ignition with the OPTION of having remote and/or keyless entry.

Personally, I detest keyless entry, but I'm not one to stop EM from making additional money on the option.
I guarantee this will have keyless entry.
Why? They're saying power locks are standard every time they rattle off specs.
What's the point of power locks on a car with ONE DOOR without keyless entry?

Top Bottom