• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Key?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guarantee this will have keyless entry.
Why? They're saying power locks are standard every time they rattle off specs.
What's the point of power locks on a car with ONE DOOR without keyless entry?
That may take some time getting used to. I have always had to unlock my car with a key. Oh well, I guess I can adjust if I have to. As long as it doesn't cost more than a lock with a key! LOL :) Z

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That may take some time getting used to. I have always had to unlock my car with a key. Oh well, I guess I can adjust if I have to. As long as it doesn't cost more than a lock with a key! LOL :) Z
My initial reaction was "of course it costs more", but then I started thinking about the off-the-shelf approach, bulk production, and the price drop in technology.
If we're talking current parts sourced from the production automotive industry, I imagine they might have trouble even finding a mechanism not built for power locks these days. It actually might cost more to get a 'simpler' part just because they're less plentiful now, pure speculation on my part.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
My initial reaction was "of course it costs more", but then I started thinking about the off-the-shelf approach, bulk production, and the price drop in technology.
If we're talking current parts sourced from the production automotive industry, I imagine they might have trouble even finding a mechanism not built for power locks these days. It actually might cost more to get a 'simpler' part just because they're less plentiful now, pure speculation on my part.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

I was actually typing this up when we Charlie gave his answer

Of course the follow up question is; How can it be less expensive to include a single power door lock as standard equipment? The answer can be found by understanding the Elio Motors quest for saving money by considering the larger picture. We already know that Elio Motors is using power windows because today they are both lighter and cheaper as manual windows are actually more mechanically complex and not made in enough numbers anymore. What ends up happening is that the power door lock unit and the power window unit are one assembly installed at one time. For the reasons Charlie mentioned it is my understanding that there is actually no difference in cost between a power window/power lock assembly vs a power window/manual lock assembly however there is an increased cost associated with having to include these variations in the entire assembly and distribution process.

Last edited:

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

I was actually typing this up when we Charlie gave his answer

Of course the follow up question is; How can it be less expensive to include a single power door lock as standard equipment? The answer can be found by understanding the Elio Motors quest for saving money by considering the larger picture. We already know that Elio Motors is using power windows because today they are both lighter and cheaper as manual windows are actually more mechanically complex and not made in enough numbers anymore. What ends up happening is that the power door lock unit and the power window unit are one assembly installed at one time. For the reasons Charlie mentioned it is my understanding that there is actually no difference in cost between a power window/power lock assembly vs a power window/manual lock assembly however there is an increased cost associated with having to include these variations in the entire assembly and distribution process.
Not to mention the added part count and complexity on the assembly line

Last edited by a moderator:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Wiring harnesses are components that demonstrate that same line of thinking. Its frequently cheaper in the long run to design the harness with extra wiring and connectors for every possible combination of options than having numerous wiring configurations.

Excellent point and it is my understanding that Elio Motors is designing only one harness for this vehicle. It is my understanding the Elio harness includes both provisions for specific options and also generic power connections throughout the vehicle to support a wide variety of current and future accessory power needs.

By the way there is a somewhat similar answer to why A/C is standard and not optional. The truth is that A/C does raise the base price however Elio Motors wants to limit production line variations and installing an A/C after the fact would be way too expensive. As they know that the overwhelming majority of vehicles will be ordered with A/C it makes more sense to save money by eliminating the no A/C variation.

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My vote is for a simple key/remote-in-one combo like my Subaru has.

I put a keypad on the front door of my house, so the only key I carry on a regular day is my car key, in the 'fob/watch pocket' of my pants (no keyring).

If it's a key/fob combo
or even a flip key

I'm going to be sad.

Yes, for the love of God, please give me a regular ignition key. Anti-theft? Who would want to steal an Elio? There's no black market for the parts! Keep it simple and basic and as one post already said, let those who want to pay for the all the fancy gizmo doo-dads just to start your engine do so in an upgrade package.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent point and it is my understanding that Elio Motors is designing only one harness for this vehicle. It is my understanding the Elio harness includes both provisions for specific options and also generic power connections throughout the vehicle to support a wide variety of current and future accessory power needs.

that is a common practice in the RV industry as well .... it is cheaper and quicker for them to have a single wiring harness that can accommodate all options than it is to custom fabricate a harness specifically for the options on each different unit .... that's also the reason that they have option packages instead of a list of individual smaller options .... if Elio will provide a wiring diagram to their customers, I can see that as being an asset in related aftermarket mods

Jim

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, it's for defending yourself. I'd rather let the guy take the car than kill him, but if he attacks me because he can't drive my car he's a dead man.

Plus, it's on my hip, not in my hands, I'm assuming he already has his gun pointed at me, but when he get's in the car and back out he doesn't have the time to aim as I've already drawn and am aiming.

That's why I'm glad I'm in Indiana !!! Not only can I protect myself or others, I can also protect my PROPERTY !!!

Locks only keep honest people honest

DING, DING, DING ..... WE HAVE A "COMMON SENSE" WINNER !!!!!

common-sense.jpg

Top Bottom