• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Keyless Entry Standard? If Not Price Idea?

Will keyless entry be standard?

• Yes.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • No. Add on in $0-$200 range

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • No. Add on in $201-$400 range

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • No. Add on above $400

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I don't want keyless entry and stop asking me questions

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, when some immobilizer systems are linked with the
ECU, re-keying requires replacing the computer. On some luxury cars that's about half the price of an Elio. Ouch! :(
Maybe it'll be like my Ford. There was some process of turning the ignition on and off and locking and unlocking the doors and then hitting the lock button on the new remote. It took me a few minutes to rehearse (I didn't want to mess it up) and then about 1 minute to actually program it. I liked it so much I ordered another one that night.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Based on the concept that a power lock on the one door would be stupid without a remote system I would surmise that the modules are purchased from a supplier (with the remote 'fob') at a cost that is pretty negligable. I've had enough of those apart to surmise that it's pretty cheap technology, regardless what your dealer wants to charge you. And if a cheap electronic remote can save the need for a mechanical key lock then they're saving money with the remote system.

Dino3721

Elio Fan
Reaction score
We have all seen by now that power locks are coming standard. Well it doesn't make much sense to have power locks for a vehicle with one door besides the ease of implementing keyless entry along with it. I believe someone also noted the power locks might actually be slightly lighter than manual (or that might have been about the windows, I don't remember). Anyways my big question for the day is if we think or know if keyless entry will also be standard or if it isn't what price range would it be in to add on? I'm guessing and hoping not more than $300 as an add on. Please feel free to provide you two cents.

I hope it does have keyless entry, but if not- I have bought a keyless entry kit on ebay before and it was $25. Fairly easy to install, it just basically hits the lock and unlock switch for you by remote.Worked well for a ford Contour I had. Maybe an hour to install.

Injunjoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a 1990 Dodge Dynasty until 1999 and although it had power door locks it did not have keyless entry. I hope the elio gives us the option to add keyless entry but it is not standard.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just so they still have a KEY to open the DOOR if the vehicle battery goes dead. If there is an 'inside hood release'; you could not get inside the vehicle to release the hood and get to the battery to 'jump start' or recharge it.

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Who's going to be the first to have his/her Elio gold plated with a toilet installed, super duper absorbent, self cleaning paper and an outboard nacelle for the chauffeur. OK, I am being sarcastic here, add all the crap you want AFTER you get it home, if everyone keeps insisting on this, that and another factory installed accessory, we'll end up with a $68000.00 behemoth.

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just so they still have a KEY to open the DOOR if the vehicle battery goes dead. If there is an 'inside hood release'; you could not get inside the vehicle to release the hood and get to the battery to 'jump start' or recharge it.

I'm guessing you haven't seen one yet. The hood has latches on the outside, with pins and a sliding catch. I believe it was mentioned somewhere in the tech notes, as well.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio responded to my my question about keyless entry: "Power locks are standard.........the remote key/fob maybe be standard or offered as an option".

So no cost increase from the Base $6800 for an optional keyless entry.........for those that worry. Offering Options is the ultimate option of meeting the needs, wants, and desires of all Elio Owners........base ride to pimped ride.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm all for keeping all the crap optional, but I'm baffled by the concept of a power lock on this thing that does not come with a remote standard. I don't need a remote for my car any more than I do for my house. I am capable of putting a key in a lock and turning it. I haven't even been injured while doing it yet or anything. BUT, what's the point of power lock on a door you are sitting right next to? In a four door car it makes some sense to be able to lock all the doors from one button instead of having to go around the car locking each door. That is not the case here. Why would there be a power button instead of a manual locking tab when the control is right beside you either way? There is only ONE door. Power windows I can kind of see, as a point of sales there are just too many people in this country who simply couldn't deal with the laborious effort of cranking a window. 'Cranking', Uugh! even the WORD sounds like work!

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I still don't get it. What is the use of power locks for a vehicle with 1 door? Too freaking lazy to flip a tab instead of push a button? Can that really be it? Why then power locks if it's not part of a remote entry system.

Top Bottom