• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Keyless Entry Standard? If Not Price Idea?

Will keyless entry be standard?

• Yes.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • No. Add on in $0-$200 range

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • No. Add on in $201-$400 range

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • No. Add on above $400

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I don't want keyless entry and stop asking me questions

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessing you haven't seen one yet. The hood has latches on the outside, with pins and a sliding catch. I believe it was mentioned somewhere in the tech notes, as well.
Yes , ON THE PROTOTYPES! I've seen BOTH the P3 and P4. Guessing you haven't TALKED to the 'Tour People' yet...... they said the Production Model will most likely have an 'inside release' to avoid theft/tampering.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm all for keeping all the crap optional, but I'm baffled by the concept of a power lock on this thing that does not come with a remote standard. I don't need a remote for my car any more than I do for my house. I am capable of putting a key in a lock and turning it. I haven't even been injured while doing it yet or anything. BUT, what's the point of power lock on a door you are sitting right next to? In a four door car it makes some sense to be able to lock all the doors from one button instead of having to go around the car locking each door. That is not the case here. Why would there be a power button instead of a manual locking tab when the control is right beside you either way? There is only ONE door. Power windows I can kind of see, as a point of sales there are just too many people in this country who simply couldn't deal with the laborious effort of cranking a window. 'Cranking', Uugh! even the WORD sounds like work!

I don't think I have heard a direct reason for the power door lock but it is my guess that it is a cost and/or weight savings issue just like the power windows. We have been told that power windows are standard on the Elio because power windows are both lighter and less expensive than manual windows which require more physical hardware to operate.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you haven't had a car with manually cranked windows in a while, I have and they're pretty tough to deal with. With every conceivable service now offering "drive - up convenience" you get to wind that handle located down by your left ankle 6 - 7 turns to get to your food, money, prescriptions, or even your dry cleaning.

With the high gear ratios used today, that's a bit of awkward exercise I don't need. After 30 years with power windows, I'm spoiled.

Last edited:

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I still don't get it. What is the use of power locks for a vehicle with 1 door? Too freaking lazy to flip a tab instead of push a button? Can that really be it? Why then power locks if it's not part of a remote entry system.

Power locks often lock more than just the doors ;) on most newer cars they lock the fuel door and the trunk as well, both of which the elio has. Power locks become cheaper b/c decent lock cylinders are expensive and complex to manufacture(unique to each vehicle and such) compared to power lock actuators(off the shelf parts interchangeable from vehicle to vehicle). The Elio will already have 2 Lock cylinders(likely ignition and the main door) the power locks allow it to not need 2 more for the fuel door and the trunk lid.:cool:

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm reminded that there may well be another concern at the drive-up . . . just where do you put that bag 'o burgers? You can't hold it in your lap, put it on the floor, or reach around to squeeze to behind the seat. I may have to be more civilized and go inside to pick up my meal . . . necessitating my getting dressed for the occasion. :(

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like the idea of a power lock for three reasons:
  1. Ergonomics. Reaching back over my left shoulder to lock the door gets a little more difficult with every passing year.
  2. Convenience. It's a lot easier to press the key fob to unlock the door when struggling with packages or bags of groceries.
  3. Safety and theft protection. I would like of a provision for door locking automatically at some minimal speed. That shouldn't be too hard to accomplish - say a command from the ECU at 12-15 mph to the door solenoid. I thought that was overkill on a couple of my cars when I first got this feature, but began to appreciate it more as time went on. You don't even have to think about locking your door against carjackers or random street people - it just happens as soon as you pull away from your parking spot.

Scott Miller

Elio Fan
Reaction score
All of this is easily accomplished with the Compustar remote start system. I had it added to my Hyundai Azera and it works great. All of this plus remote start to boot! Equipment and installation should be about 300 bucks.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like the idea of a power lock for three reasons:
  1. Ergonomics. Reaching back over my left shoulder to lock the door gets a little more difficult with every passing year.
  2. Convenience. It's a lot easier to press the key fob to unlock the door when struggling with packages or bags of groceries.
  3. Safety and theft protection. I would like of a provision for door locking automatically at some minimal speed. That shouldn't be too hard to accomplish - say a command from the ECU at 12-15 mph to the door solenoid. I thought that was overkill on a couple of my cars when I first got this feature, but began to appreciate it more as time went on. You don't even have to think about locking your door against carjackers or random street people - it just happens as soon as you pull away from your parking spot.
Very interesting. You obviously live in a city. I never lock my apartment door unless I'm going to be out of town (other than Roseburg) and I don't ever lock it if I am in the apartment. I also don't lock my car door when I am in the car. In fact I hope they don't have that because it makes me claustrophobic just thinking about it. I do, however, lock my car door when I am not in it. I have never had power locks so have no idea what to expect. I just hope they don't include an alarm. I really dislike those suckers. :-) Z

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very interesting. You obviously live in a city. I never lock my apartment door unless I'm going to be out of town (other than Roseburg) and I don't ever lock it if I am in the apartment. I also don't lock my car door when I am in the car. In fact I hope they don't have that because it makes me claustrophobic just thinking about it. I do, however, lock my car door when I am not in it. I have never had power locks so have no idea what to expect. I just hope they don't include an alarm. I really dislike those suckers. :) Z
Z, you are fortunate because there aren't many places like that any more and unless the job market improves more people will be looking to get into our cars and/or houses. Here in Las Cruces if you leave your car unlocked you can expect anything in it to be gone the next morning. The police encourage everyone to put their cars in the garage or to make sure there is nothing obvious in it when left out, and locked, at night.

Top Bottom