• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm just wondering, do you wear a seat belt?
When I was 18, I fell asleep behind the wheel of my 68 Beetle and hit a telephone pole at 50mph. Cops and paramedics told me the seat-belt saved my life and even then they were amazed I walked away (actually, I didn't walk away. I smelled gas and I RAN!).
Any doubts about wearing a seat-belt were gone when 6 months later a buddy of mine was in a similar accident but wasn't wearing a seat-belt and went through the windshield. He was in a coma for 34 days before dying.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Seat belts with both lap and shoulder harness have been well proven over the last several decades to save many lives. While there are unfortunate exceptions where the seat belts themselves cause injuries or death they have been well proven to save many more lives and prevent many more injuries than they cause.

I myself have been saved from serious injury or death by wearing a seat belt with lap and shoulder harness while being involved in two separate serious accidents. Neither accident was remotely my fault as both were caused by drunk drivers. In one accident I was run into from behind by a car going about 30 MPH while I was completely stopped at a traffic light. The other accident was at highway speed and I was rammed from behind by the drunk driver who misjudged a lane change which caused my vehicle to run off the road and roll a number of times down an embankment.

I walked away from both accidents with some serious bruising caused by the seat belt and airbag but the fact that I was able to simply walk away from both of these very serious accidents is amazing. The seat belts are what held me in place enough to avoid slamming into the wheel and dash or being ejected from the vehicle.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I was 18, I fell asleep behind the wheel of my 68 Beetle and hit a telephone pole at 50mph. Cops and paramedics told me the seat-belt saved my life and even then they were amazed I walked away (actually, I didn't walk away. I smelled gas and I RAN!).
Any doubts about wearing a seat-belt were gone when 6 months later a buddy of mine was in a similar accident but wasn't wearing a seat-belt and went through the windshield. He was in a coma for 34 days before dying.
I was wearing mine, saved my face!
P0003022.JPG

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wear a four point harness at work also. Seat belts are just smart and usually keep personal injury to a minimum. Only problem of wearing them so often is, now when I infrequently go to the cinema, I sit back in those nice seats and start feeling around for the seatbelt. o_O

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Many states and insurance companies will put the elio in the autocycle classification..which maybe means the fees charged will be more than a motorcycle, and less than a car.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope that motorcycle license issue is resolved. I can see that being a hinderence to sales. I have my motorcycle license, so no bigge for me, but big picture, it could be. I had a pretty bad motorcycle accident last september. The Elio is my "motorcycle compromise" with the wife. LOL
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHsrWEjUN9GXX_l24KGetE2V3Mc0fSnBEVbHjS4Ls9o1Ct3tClFQ.jpg

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Good discussion on seat belts.

Addressing the heading on this theme, just to post what I've learned so far and use it as a jumping-in point... the 5 states that require a helmet at this time are: MO, WV, NC, MS and NE.

For a motorcycle license needed, there's not a list available (that I know) of states that would require one. In KS for example, as far as I can tell by looking at their classification of vehicles on the road, they don't specifically address whether a 3-wheeled autocycle with an enclosed cabin needs a mc license. Hoping the legal employee of Elio is working on it.

Reaction score
Good discussion on seat belts.

Addressing the heading on this theme, just to post what I've learned so far and use it as a jumping-in point... the 5 states that require a helmet at this time are: MO, WV, NC, MS and NE.

For a motorcycle license needed, there's not a list available (that I know) of states that would require one. In KS for example, as far as I can tell by looking at their classification of vehicles on the road, they don't specifically address whether a 3-wheeled autocycle with an enclosed cabin needs a mc license. Hoping the legal employee of Elio is working on it.

They're still working with Ohio. Right now there is a poorly written bill that goes into affect 1/1/2017, that will exempt the operator from wearing a helmet, but not the passenger in a inclosed cab motorcycle. And it is not clear about the novice (new MC license holder) and under the age of eighteen operators. I believe it is Joel Sheltrown who is working on this. Wish him luck.

Top Bottom