• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Lights On Wheel Covers

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
White lights looking forward and red brake and turn signal lights on the rear of the wheel covers make a lot of good sense to me.
The more you can be seen the better off you are.

IT MAKES MORE THAN SENSE . IT WILL BE A SIZE INDICATOR FOR OTHER DRIVERS AT NIGHT .
WITH ALL THE LIGHTING ON THE CENTER POD , THE ELIO WILL APPEAR TO BE A MOTORCYCLE
TO OTHER DRIVERS .

THE FRONT WHEELS & FENDERS ARE THE WIDEST PART OF THE CAR AND IT WILL BE DANGEROUS
TO HAVE THEM UNMARKED . AN INEXPENSIVE LED ON THE FRONT & BACK OF THE FENDER WILL
BE ENOUGH TO LET OTHER TRAFFIC KNOW THAT SOMETHING IS THERE .

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a motorcycle rider, I can honestly say that in my 30 years of riding, no one has ever passed me close enough to hit front wheel pods if I had them on. I mean that if you went back and put me in an Elio and changed nothing else, no car would have hit my front tires. People tend to give motorcycles a wide berth when they actually see them. I don't know if they are afraid the motorcycle will just attack them out of the blue or if they just know that if they screw up around a motorcycle, there's a good possibility that someone is going to die. Whatever the reason, they tend to keep away. Maybe I'm just lucky...

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a motorcycle rider, I can honestly say that in my 30 years of riding, no one has ever passed me close enough to hit front wheel pods if I had them on. I mean that if you went back and put me in an Elio and changed nothing else, no car would have hit my front tires. People tend to give motorcycles a wide berth when they actually see them. I don't know if they are afraid the motorcycle will just attack them out of the blue or if they just know that if they screw up around a motorcycle, there's a good possibility that someone is going to die. Whatever the reason, they tend to keep away. Maybe I'm just lucky...

Same with me, with defensive driving to keep a bubble of space around me and staying out of blind spots I cannot recall a time when someone tried to pass me close enough to cause a problem in the Elio.

I still get times when cell phone talkers/texters have try to merge over onto me when not paying attention, but that is something that some marker lights will not help and happens to me in my car as well. That is one reason why my cars and bikes get loud aftermarket horns.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I drive in major traffic every day. I often get people trying to muscle their way into my lane and if the extremities of my car are not marked, I believe that they would run into me.

Buckeyejake

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't care how many lights are on your vehicle. Texting and talking drivers will not see you. Sometimes modern devices are a god sent. Sometimes they can create accidents that would have never happened in the past. Double edged sword.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't care how many lights are on your vehicle. Texting and talking drivers will not see you. Sometimes modern devices are a god sent. Sometimes they can create accidents that would have never happened in the past. Double edged sword.

I think you are right. You need to be visible. And the more visible you are the better chance you have.
But even if you look like a Christmas tree, if the other driver isn't looking you're in trouble.
And.............
You can't fix stupid!

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Apparently, you're just lucky !!
In my 50+ years riding, I've been run off the rode while the driver looked right at me and smiled.......had my mirror snapped and had fingers broken by passing cars !!!! (only went down once :))
Count your blessings sir :D

Top Bottom