• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Lights On Wheel Covers

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I would consider having the Lumilor treatment done for the fender wells. would add a good level of visibility with some level of customization.

http://www.lumilor.com/
you will still have to figure out how to get an electrical current to the fender's, but a lower voltage and fewer parts.
Put one of those little bicycle generators that run off the tire on each front wheel along with a rechargeable battery pack.

Drag0n

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Put one of those little bicycle generators that run off the tire on each front wheel along with a rechargeable battery pack.
lol, yeah, that way you can tell what direction your turning as that side will be dimer due to slower wheel spin :p
goes with the "baseball card in the spokes" addon for that clicking sound as you drive.:D

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
lol, yeah, that way you can tell what direction your turning as that side will be dimer due to slower wheel spin :p
goes with the "baseball card in the spokes" addon for that clicking sound as you drive.:D
That's why I said to have the rechargeable battery pack; it would draw the same power at all times; including stopping for a red light or stop sign.

You said you worked for an ISP; I just retired after 27+ years in MIS/IT as my second career; my first career was certified import car wrench bender and 14+ years of custom car designer / Builder so my head is constantly stuck on figuring out how to make things work.
That and we have another thread in here about lights on the front fenders :becky:

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lumilor website states "typically runs on voltage between 100v AC and 200v AC but has the capacity to run on voltage between 80v AC and 400v AC." The current requirement is 1 milliamp/ sq inch. It means you would need an additional inverter and the paint last aprox 10,000 hrs. No big deal I just think some reflective tape would do just as well and would last a very long time

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Lumilor website states "typically runs on voltage between 100v AC and 200v AC but has the capacity to run on voltage between 80v AC and 400v AC." The current requirement is 1 milliamp/ sq inch. It means you would need an additional inverter and the paint last aprox 10,000 hrs. No big deal I just think some reflective tape would do just as well and would last a very long time
You can do low voltage LED tape lighting that will run on 3v; I know, I've got about 20' of it in 4 strips

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a couple examples of the "tape" I'm talking about:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GXRL1O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Meter-Strip-...6_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3QX0DEQPK1C5YJ6SB7C5

You can cut and shape it.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cool stuff, but it's not permanent.

"LifePaint washes off, and will not damage the colour or the surface of your chosen material, lasting more than a week of normal usage."

At least some reviewers are not very enthusiastic about the real-world results:
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-life-paint-hi-vis-cyclist-road-safety-review

I like that is doesn't damage anything, I also know there is a non water based version that does not wash off and last longer. i just don't know anything more about it. I would be much happier with something that was self contained, which is why I think I will go with reflective tape. I would like to see Elio offer it in colors that match the paint so it was not as visible during the day.

GiantDriver

Elio Fan
Reaction score
What do you think about putting a fog light on each wheel cover?
Saw the P5 in June at the Barrett Jackson car auction in CT. Elio rep said that fog/driving lights are a very possible option and they are looking at the possibility of mounting them on the fenders. Vibration and wind resistance that could adversely affect gas mileage will have to be addressed.

Top Bottom