• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Lights On Wheel Covers

XanWolf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
One thing I would be concerned with is a single LED (pin point brightness) in the dark of the night could have a dazzle effect for other drivers if the LED pinpoint can ever be seen directly. I like the idea of indirect glow effect. Lastly, we should research the light colors as there are specific rules about which colors can show which ways.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I would be concerned with is a single LED (pin point brightness) in the dark of the night could have a dazzle effect for other drivers if the LED pinpoint can ever be seen directly. I like the idea of indirect glow effect. Lastly, we should research the light colors as there are specific rules about which colors can show which ways.
Doesn't that go by state?
Here it's amber forward and sides, red to the rear; but you'll need to check for your state.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure, but I think general lighting white, amber, and red, are generally federally regulated. Ground effects and specialty lights are usually regulated or not locally. Exhibit A - KC Bar on a PU truck in CA okay, but can not use it on the road.
That's why I said it's best to check for your state; you really don't want to find out later (like while being pulled over) after you've spent a bunch of money and time installing them

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Never thought of the idea of attaching a light strip to the suspension, but I really like that idea. I would attach it to the lower brace and run it horizontal along it. It would provide a little more idea to oncoming vehicles the "width" of my Elio, plus could look cool and act like small fog lights.

(Images just an example)

61xFGrWk2xL._SL1000_.jpg

51Z9txyTXBL._SL1000_.jpg

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You know, I have forgotten what the retro fenders and wheels look like. Not many pictures around. I would want fender lights for the retro fenders which I think I would order. I like the old hot rod look.

Concerned about how far the retro fenders wrap down to the ground. I recall posts about sling stuff on the side of the car. The retro fenders need there own flaps.

Here's something else to consider.......
Do you want the lights to serve only as marker / clearance lights or do you want directional signal functionality included?
Multi-function lights will require a more complex wiring harness to get to the fender.
And, if like some people have indicated, you want to be able to use both sets of fenders you will need a connection out by the wheels.
Not throwing cold water on the idea. I've been thinking about it for a while.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's something else to consider.......
Do you want the lights to serve only as marker / clearance lights or do you want directional signal functionality included?
Multi-function lights will require a more complex wiring harness to get to the fender.
And, if like some people have indicated, you want to be able to use both sets of fenders you will need a connection out by the wheels.
Not throwing cold water on the idea. I've been thinking about it for a while.
There will be three small wires instead of two for multi-functional lights.
If you include a marker/clearance and turn combo on one front fender amber light...
And a marker/clearance and brake combo on one rear fender red light...
That's still only four small wires going to the fender that will easily fit inside braided steel line.
Or standard plastic wire guard. That's the only difference.
The only reason a connection on each fender is needed is for fender removal.
You can go with simple and inexpensive parts-store mini-plugs...
Or you can go with a slightly more expensive trailer light connection.
Either way, it should only take you five minutes or less per connection.
You can wire tie (plastic) or metal hold-down (steel) where needed.
But remember that the "harness" between the body and fender will need some slack.
And once they're on/in the fenders, you can run the wires all the way to the lights.
I have a bottle of "liquid electrical tape" that I got at Wal-mart.
That and a hot glue gun (to cover and protect the back of the lights inside the fender).
We're making this very simple thing into something way too complicated.

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There will be three small wires instead of two for multi-functional lights.
If you include a marker/clearance and turn combo on one front fender amber light...
And a marker/clearance and brake combo on one rear fender red light...
That's still only four small wires going to the fender that will easily fit inside braided steel line.
Of standard plastic wire guard. That's the only difference.
The only reason a connection on each fender is needed is for fender removal.
You can go with simple and inexpensive parts-store mini-plugs...
Or you can go with a slightly more expensive trailer light connection.
Either way, it should only take you five minutes or less per connection.
You can wire tie (plastic) or metal hold-down (steel) where needed.
But remember that the "harness" between the body and fender will need some slack.
And once they're on/in the fenders, you can run the wires all the way to the lights.
I have a bottle of "liquid electrical tape" that I got at Wal-mart.
That and a hot glue gun (to cover and protect the back of the lights inside the fender).
We're making this very simple thing into something way too complicated.

OK!
So we're going to cut into the wiring harness (multiple spots?) and run wiring out both A arms.
Then have connectors and secure to inside of fenders.
Not necessarily that easy for everyone.

DailyLunatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think I will use the DOT reflective tape that is used on the rear of almost all 18 wheeler trailers. I will use the white reflective portion on the front of the fender and the red portion on the rear. It is a $20 solution for greater visibility from the rear and front.

https://www.amazon.com/Reflective-T...=UTF8&qid=1473773803&sr=8-7&keywords=DOT+tape

I'm planning to wrap, and the outriggers to be a different color than the body. A couple of yards of reflective vinyl and Bob's ya uncle...
https://www.fellers.com/fellers-sho.../set/3m-scotchlite-vinyl-series-680-in-colors
One caveat however, the reflective vinyls I have found will be much more difficult to handle that the 3M 1080, so this may end up to be not much more than a stripe. ...and granted, not as visible as lighting, but that's my goal...

-sterling

XanWolf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Headlight alignment use to be a big thing. While it is still important, It seems that the event of having to adjust them is less than before -- probably due to better manufacturing of the headlights themselves. However, headlights do NOT point directly ahead (when properly adjusted). The specified angle is a balance between the driver's ability to see and the oncoming drivers not being momentarily blinded. When you consider making home modifications which might add forward-shining lights with the purpose of providing more light, please try to take this into account. Even if it does not cause a wreck, few people like ultra-bright oncoming headlights as they drive.

With regards to marker lights, auxiliary turn signal lights, etc, please be mindful of these lights being too bright at night for either yourself (you will figure it out) or other people out there driving behind you or to your side.

webartist

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Headlight alignment use to be a big thing. While it is still important, It seems that the event of having to adjust them is less than before -- probably due to better manufacturing of the headlights themselves. However, headlights do NOT point directly ahead (when properly adjusted). The specified angle is a balance between the driver's ability to see and the oncoming drivers not being momentarily blinded. When you consider making home modifications which might add forward-shining lights with the purpose of providing more light, please try to take this into account. Even if it does not cause a wreck, few people like ultra-bright oncoming headlights as they drive.

With regards to marker lights, auxiliary turn signal lights, etc, please be mindful of these lights being too bright at night for either yourself (you will figure it out) or other people out there driving behind you or to your side.
I agree. I would not want this to get out of hand, just something small an lit enough to distinguish the width of the Elio at night.

Top Bottom