• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Lights On Wheel Covers

XanWolf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I imagine that a True Blue Elio which was emitting a soft blue glow directly down (light sources not directly visible) would have a fantastic nighttime appearance as it was rolling down the highway. I have seen cars with blue downward glow effects; but I do not know if it is, in fact, legal.

webartist

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I imagine that a True Blue Elio which was emitting a soft blue glow directly down (light sources not directly visible) would have a fantastic nighttime appearance as it was rolling down the highway. I have seen cars with blue downward glow effects; but I do not know if it is, in fact, legal.
Hey, this might work. Direct down lighting, especially in a way that projects at a wheel width distance and could be see from the front and back. I hope its legal. I see them on the road also.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on your state laws; so that's where you will have to check. There are some states that do allow it, as long as they aren't flashing, can only be so bright, and can only be in a limited area. Other states don't allow them at all unless it's parked or being shown.

webartist

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
A lot of this has already been covered if you go back to the beginning of this thread that started 2-10-2014

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/lights-on-wheel-covers.296/

<that the #1 post> not bad reading if you take the time.
Your are correct. A good read early in the thread. The point about fender vibration is probably correct and I had not thought about that. Still need a way to illuminate for the purpose of vehicle width and to be seen by others.

webartist

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
What if you backed up to the body at where the wheel drive starts and place a small led spot/flood light fixture that would shine on the front of the fender (perhaps one for the back of the fender) in order to mark the fender width for visibility at night?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
What if you backed up to the body at where the wheel drive starts and place a small led spot/flood light fixture that would shine on the front of the fender (perhaps one for the back of the fender) in order to mark the fender width for visibility at night?
Just how far do you think the front wheels are away from the body? 3' on each side?
Here's the Elio Specs:
Spec Sheet.gif

Plus I think that most folks are over thinking this; driving at night, someone comes up behind you to pass; that car is going to have headlights and will be able to see the Elio; plus when someone passes you, how close do the normally come to the side of you now? 3"?
Yes, putting something on there isn't a bad idea, but I don't think you have to light them up like a billboard.
I may put a combo Running/Brake/turn signal light on it, but the brightness will be enough to see; not enough to be seen clearly from 10 miles back.
When I rode with a side hack, it had a single light on the outside edge of it, but that was it.
Baggers; usually just reflector strips.
The one thing you don't want is a light bright enough to distract your driving, because you will see it from the driver seat.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have to ask, are the concerns about visibility from the front or the rear?

I've misjudged the distance of Jeeps (narrow separation width of the headlights) and large motorcycles with dual horizontal headlights thinking they were farther away than they actually were.

Headlights on the wheel covers would give the impression (illusion?) of a larger vehicle and cause drivers to give more space pulling onto a road or in opposite traffic.

The additional headlights following the road would certainly be a bonus.

I would caution the additional of bright lights on the rear side of the wheel cover. These might pose a distraction or a blinding element to the driver.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I have to ask, are the concerns about visibility from the front or the rear?

I've misjudged the distance of Jeeps (narrow separation width of the headlights) and large motorcycles with dual horizontal headlights thinking they were farther away than they actually were.

Headlights on the wheel covers would give the impression (illusion?) of a larger vehicle and cause drivers to give more space pulling onto a road or in opposite traffic.

The additional headlights following the road would certainly be a bonus.

I would caution the additional of bright lights on the rear side of the wheel cover. These might pose a distraction or a blinding element to the driver.
You're just kidding around with us ... Right? You know, telling a joke and making it sound like a real question?

Has to be; you were part of the last 200 page conversation we've had about this subject we're you?

That topic has been covered so many times before you can't be serious, yes?

This is the link to the beginning of this thread that started in 2014

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/lights-on-wheel-covers.296/

< that the #1 post> not bad reading if you take the time.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Goodness!

For your inflamation, I read the entire post.

I finally had an opinion about it and made a comment.

Now, about the color Yellow...

in addition, the last post before me was less than 3 weeks old.

RELAX!!! JEEEZE!!!

Top Bottom