• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Manual Or Power Steering?

Teh Sargon

Elio Fan
Reaction score
You will have the option to experience how the Elio handles prior to placing your official purchase order when EM kicks off the Ride and Drive Event.

I personally think the 1200# Elio with rack and pinion steering will be easy to maneuver and fun to drive.

My 1976 2000# Chevette on P155R13 tires had no power steering and it was fun to drive. I mean once you got it moving. Puckita puckita.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My 1976 2000# Chevette on P155R13 tires had no power steering and it was fun to drive. I mean once you got it moving. Puckita puckita.
Hi and welcome from Oregon, Teh Sargon. I'm glad to see you have jumped right in on several threads today. Enjoy this exciting journey and we'll see you next year driving our new Elios. :-) Z

JMBishop

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Is it confirmed that the production model will have no power steering?

If Elio doesn't offer it I will make a EPS kit.

I don't believe it needs it but years of driving a Fiero with no power steering tells me it will turn people off. Anytime I let anyone drive the fiero the first thing they say is "OMG this wheel is hard to turn" before they get the car moving and i've been told many times "if I had one I'd have to have power steering".

I can make a kit with the brackets and controller to install a Saturn Vue EPS unit. The goal would be to make a bolt in kit but it may not be possible and some cutting drilling and tapping might be required.

The kit would be around $200 without the EPS unit which I've seen as cheap as $40 from salvage yards, I don't know the price of the unit from the parts suppliers.

Again, this kit won't be a must have for everyone but there will be people who want it or possibly need it.

JMBishop

Elio Fan
Reaction score
It's definitely not needed. Just as it's not needed on my Fiero, but it's what people are used to. I've already seen the lack of power steering and increased steering effort mentioned in a test drive video of the p4.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was indicated that power steering is not required on a 1200# vehicle which would be confirmed in a test drive situation for those concerned.
I'm so glad Elio Motors gets it. Like Honda in the 80's did.
Not everyone wants or needs an over engineered vehicle.
For example, take a look at this, from my old LC50... this is a 49cc engine! Way, way, way over engineered.

Elio is not only doing it right, they're doing the right thing, keeping it simple.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
IMG_1803.jpg

Top Bottom