• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Manual Or Power Steering?

Hayden

Reaction score
I asked Elio about power steering and received this reply:
Al Elio (Elio Motors)

Jan 15 22:06

Power steering is not a necessary...

While not absolutely a necessary feature on a 1200lb car, electronic assist at parking maneuverer speeds will save a lot of sales from a large segment of the suggested target market. If it is made available at product launch, I'll buy it.

At least 2 reporters who have appeared in YouTube reviews driving the P4 have frowned when they realized the prototype did not have PS. One, a female seemed to really struggle, the other, a male mentioned at the point of his reaction that he was told the final production car would have better manual steering. Either way, ladies of all ages will appreciate the option, and especially seniors. Remember, baby boomers still buy the most cars.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
While not absolutely a necessary feature on a 1200lb car, electronic assist at parking maneuverer speeds will save a lot of sales from a large segment of the suggested target market. If it is made available at product launch, I'll buy it.

At least 2 reporters who have appeared in YouTube reviews driving the P4 have frowned when they realized the prototype did not have PS. One, a female seemed to really struggle, the other, a male mentioned at the point of his reaction that he was told the final production car would have better manual steering. Either way, ladies of all ages will appreciate the option, and especially seniors. Remember, baby boomers still buy the most cars.

Hayden, Welcome to the ElioOwners.com forum from Atlanta, GA.

If you read through this thread you will eventually find out two important facts.

The first is that the steering rack in the prototype is scavenged from an old Geo Metro so it is neither up to date nor properly sized for the vehicle which really makes the current videos and information about the steering in the prototype mostly useless and a few articles have even correctly pointed this out. We will have to wait until the pre-production prototypes fitted with a properly geared modern rack and pinion steering rack are installed before we have an idea of how well, or not, manual steering works in this vehicle.

The other piece of news is that just a few weeks ago Paul Elio told us during a Town Hall meeting that the chosen steering rack does allow for electric assisted steering and they have engineered the vehicle with the appropriate space to accommodate this option so they do intend to offer it as an option for those who absolutely must have it.

We are very glad to have you here! You have joined a very diverse group of people from all over the country who really enjoy discussing everything there is to know about this interesting vehicle. I hope you enjoy your time here reading about and/or discussing all there is to know about Elio Motors.

We have a survey we like reservation holders to fill out if they wish as it really helps us visualize the growing numbers and locations of future Elio Owners. For now information visit this link: http://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-reservation-map-and-survey.1129/

We also have a thread for our many current and former service members to introduce themselves. If that applies to you visit this thread: http://www.elioowners.com/threads/military-service.1118/

The forum search function is a great tool as, in the vast majority of cases, if you have a question or an idea, it has likely already been discussed. :)

If you ever happen to have any issues while on this forum please be sure to notify a staff member as we are here to help. :cool:

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Modern small cars such as the Fiat Panda have electric steering racks which provide a selectable higher level of assistance for parking speeds. My wife's mother has one from 2009 and from experience only finger tip pressure is needed to steer it. The parking mode is selected via a simple push button on the dash. She loves it, she is still driving it at the grand old age of 88.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My Dad is still driving at 88 as well, his ride is a big Ford station wagon with not quite 200k on it. It's in the shop right now, but he's waiting patiently. I have a feeling there was no option as to special assistance for parking in that tuna boat! Of course living in rural Nebraska, there isn't a whole lot of call for needing it, not a lot of parallel parking around there!

RevTriker

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Showed my granddaughter a picture of the huge steering wheel in my first car. A 1964 Chev Impala.
It needed to be that big to run it. No power steering or brakes. 3 speed on the column
Just a quick note to all who think they might need the power assisted steering, first just buy yourself a clip on Rotating Knob for the steering wheel at your local truck stop service center then after you done about a zillion "donuts" out in the parking lot let us know how much fun you had. P.S. They are also known as "Suicide Knobs" as they could get hung up on a shirt sleeve etc, so just be careful out there....

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a quick note to all who think they might need the power assisted steering, first just buy yourself a clip on Rotating Knob for the steering wheel at your local truck stop service center then after you done about a zillion "donuts" out in the parking lot let us know how much fun you had. P.S. They are also known as "Suicide Knobs" as they could get hung up on a shirt sleeve etc, so just be careful out there....
We called them necking nobs when i was a kid cuzz you could drive with 1 arm around your sweetie, I loved bench seats, and steer with 1 hand on the knob... That truck had 3 on the column, so I had to teach my girlfriend to shift as I pushed the clutch.... Owe the memories these streams bring out.

Top Bottom