• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Manual Or Power Steering?

Thomas Maule

Elio Addict
Reaction score
^^^ and that's why I'll offer it if Elio doesn't.

It doesn't need to come standard, I would leave it off in their shoes but I'd still offer it as a option.

ill look into your kit if elio doesnt offer it, but I heard somewhere around here that they will offer it.... just a rumor, thats all I have ^^

edit: ahh, thanks BlioKart... so I am not crazy...

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
BlioKart said: Its been stated before electric power steering will be optional. I don't think i will opt for it seems unnecessary.

That is my understanding. EM has also said it would be an easy add-on. I may opt out, try the vehicle, then decide if I want to add it.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm so glad Elio Motors gets it. Like Honda in the 80's did.
Not everyone wants or needs an over engineered vehicle.
For example, take a look at this, from my old LC50... this is a 49cc engine! Way, way, way over engineered.

Elio is not only doing it right, they're doing the right thing, keeping it simple.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
IMG_1803.jpg
OMG All this for a 49cc engine?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
EM has told us on several occasions, including during a direct discussion with Paul Elio during and online town hall style meeting, that while manual steering is standard and should work fine for most people the vehicle has been designed to accommodate an electric power assist module which will be available as an option. While some people will undoubtedly elect to have power steering installed as an official option I am sure there will also be Elio Owners who will look for a PS solution after they already own the vehicle so this could also work as an independent aftermarket item.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If its a option at launch it's possible mine will be cheaper, it's to early to tell but that would be another condition I'd sell the kit.

As Elio moves closer to production we plan on adding new sub-forums covering technical issues and even advertising and selling parts and accessories. Right now the forum is mainly concentrated on following along with developments however it will shift over time into a more normal owners forum with the usual range of topics.

Mark327

Elio Fan
Reaction score
When was the last time anyone here, drove a car with manual steering?
We're spoiled. We want a Big Gulp in one hand, and the ability to drive too.
Personally, I'll agree, the Elio won't need it. But like AC, it would make a good selling point.
Paul should make it an option.
Now, power brakes, would just be over kill.
BTW, my last vehicle with manual steering was a 1974 Chevy C20 Pickup.
Yea, a 3/4 ton, 2wd, pickup.
292 6cyl, 4spd with a creeper first gear, 16.5in\8lug rims, 8ply tires.... bias ply no less...
Manual steering.
Now that was a bear to park.

Top Bottom