• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Manual Or Power Steering?

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. And it makes sense since it's too light! I'm still confused with the power of the engine...is it 70 HP or 55 HP? ...
Originally they said 70hp, then down-graded it to 55hp. Latest info posted is 60hp and 55 ft-lbs of torque.

outtaget1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I asked Elio about power steering and received this reply:
Al Elio (Elio Motors)

Jan 15 22:06

Power steering is not a necessary feature in this vehicle because of how well it drives as a front-wheeled drive vehicle, with most of the weight in the front of the vehicle. Two people sitting in tandem inside further mute the need to add in power steering, and this is one cost less to worry about us having to wrap into the current base price of $6800! You will be able to see first hand how tight the driving experience is when you test drive the vehicle early next year during our ride and drive series OR at a location near you once we go into production next year. Thanks for vocalizing your concerns and we look forward to meeting you in the near future!

Best,

The Elio Team

I am concerned only about the difficulty of parking lot maneuvers where the Elio is stationary. I had a few manual steering cars in my past, and remember horsing the wheel around to get into a parking space.
Power steering is about more than assisting the movement of wheels... I have to believe that manual steering will be used to make the price target,, but if power steering is an option when they ask me for my final order,,, it will have to be real expensive for me not to consider it FIRST ON THE OPTIONS LIST.
Go Elio,,
JS

Last edited:

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It'll be really tempting not to indulge on the various options once it's presented! If Elio Motors somehow managed to keep that $6,800. price, who knows, I might add the nice smelling leather seats, upgrade the stereo, etc. without going over my limit of $10,000. Life's good!

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It'll be really tempting not to indulge on the various options once it's presented! If Elio Motors somehow managed to keep that $6,800. price, who knows, I might add the nice smelling leather seats, upgrade the stereo, etc. without going over my limit of $10,000. Life's good!

Same here. I set my budget at $10,000 as well.

outtaget1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. And it makes sense since it's too light! I'm still confused with the power of the engine...is it 70 HP or 55 HP? I also thought I read it somewhere where it can go 60 mph in 9.6 sec. Is this adequate for it's size and weight?
I have been curious about this as well.. So, I start thinking out of the box a bit,,, and 15 hp jumps out at me... I recognize that as the amount of hp it takes to run an AC pump... well, at least a few years back..... so, I question,, 70 hp with air off?????? and 55 with air on????? when they show the powerplant illustrations, or even that animated video,, they show the compressor on it and turning... Does that indicate it is PART OF the power plant, and the output is figured with that in ops mode????? Just a thought?
Go Elio,
JS

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Modern automotive AC systems will only draw 2-4hp to run. The Elio system can utilize the smallest compressor available; doubtful it would scavenge more than 2hp.

Reaction score
I hear you man. 'Just wondering how much power it has so I can decide which transmission to get, manual or automatic. I've driven manual shift all my life because I have more control when or how fast I shift specially when driving a smaller engine and trying to climb a hill!
I'm getting a auto transmission. That way my right hand will be free to wave at people ... and hold my cell phone. kidding.

outtaget1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Modern automotive AC systems will only draw 2-4hp to run. The Elio system can utilize the smallest compressor available; doubtful it would scavenge more than 2hp.
Ok,,, that dates me. hehehehee but good to hear,,, now we need to find out where the 15 hp deviation fits...
Go Elio.
JS

tenbsmith

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
outtaget1, i think the '15 hp deviation' just reflects different estimates over time as more information arrived. If that is the case, the current 60 hp estimate is the most accurate.

outtaget1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
outtaget1, i think the '15 hp deviation' just reflects different estimates over time as more information arrived. If that is the case, the current 60 hp estimate is the most accurate.
Ya,, looks like we can label it an engineering envelope.... It is just a curious variable I am always trying to get a finger on, kinda like somebody said,, will make big difference in selecting tranny.. And,,, will also show on performance while hooked to cruise control... hate it when the power curve is so low the cruise kicks out climbing a knoll....
It may be,,, with the displacement available,, there is TUNING envelope of 15 hp... you want performance,, you trade economy. :-) the bulldog.

Go Elio..
JS

Top Bottom