• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Manual Or Power Steering?

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back in the days before power steering became standard on just about everything, I owned/drove several cars with manual rack and pinion steering that were more than twice the weight of the Elio. Steering effort was never an issue. It was called 'positive steering' by some folks back then. I'm perfectly fine with no power steering.

Last edited:

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back in the days before power steering became standard on just about everything, I owned/drove several cars with manual rack and pinion steering that were more than twice the weight of the Elio. Steering effort was never an issue. It was called 'positive steering' by some folks back then. I'm perfectly fine with no power steering.
I drove 18 wheelers back in the day with no P/S and you grow into it. Pits to turn at dead stop..LOL

AltoidBox

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not too worried about not having power steering either. I bought my wife a 1995 Ford Aspire for $350 to use while we were in college. It had no power steering and neither of us had much problem with it. Just don't try to turn the wheel too much while at a dead stop.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 1979 Triumph Spitfire I take out for a spin every once in a while. It does not have power steering and weighs about 1600 lbs. Except for at a dead stop most people would not even be able to tell it does not have power steering. Even when completely stopped I can turn the wheel with just one hand even if it does take some extra effort.

Last edited:

Frosty

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
On the opening page of the Elio Motors website on the left is an intro paragraph that lists the standard features of the Elio. It now clearly states "Power Steering" as standard. Have they changed their collective mind, since they made it very clear in earlier communications that power steering would not be standard?

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the opening page of the Elio Motors website on the left is an intro paragraph that lists the standard features of the Elio. It now clearly states "Power Steering" as standard. Have they changed their collective mind, since they made it very clear in earlier communications that power steering would not be standard?
I would say that if it's an update to the information that was previously presented there, then it's definitely a change in course. Perhaps they found a way to incorporate PS without compromising either fuel economy or cost. It it's true, I'm almost disappointed, because I was looking forward to re-visiting the manual 'positive steering' days of the 50's and 60's British sports cars.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With less than 1,000 lbs on the front end, PS is probably not necessary. However with today's wide tires and sticky compounds it might be difficult for a small person to parallel park. Recognizing this, many manufacturers are going to electric power steering, primarily to reduce parasitic loads on the engine that cut into fuel economy.

Top Bottom