• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Meeting In Shreveport Today?

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Louisiana passed laws to keep Tesla from selling directly to customers thus protecting dealers (which comprise most of the motor vehicle commission). Since Elio plans to also sell directly to customers, they decided to use the law against EM. EM is competition to their new and used cars sales.

Other states also have such laws. What is to prevent these other states from fining EM in the same way? If other states do this, and keep the fines in the millions of dollars, it would destroy EM which is what dealers (who are on the commissions) would like.

If I were an investor in EM, I would not want my millions of dollars to quickly disappear in fines. I would thing twice about investing. The timing of Lousiana commission’s fine is interesting. There is talk about possible major investment occurring before the end of this month (July, 2017). Was this hearing and fine deliberately timed to discourage or stop investment into EM?

An interesting point. Disturbing but interesting

Reaction score
If there is a seriously possibility of other states imposing such fines on EM, how can EM avoid this? Can EM immediately cancel all sales to people in these states and return their money, and this avoid such problems? Both EM and the reservationist would not like this and I would not either if I were in these states. However, if it is needed to prevent destroying EM (which dealers want) it would be needed. Perhaps these people can buy Elios in neighboring states and their spots in line honored there.

Good Questions. Please send an email to tellmemore@eliomotors.com and ask them. Sure, would love to see the answer.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is anyone concerned about the refundable reservations that Arcimoto is taking for the SRK (I have one) and EM for the Solo? Are they in trouble also?

I was speaking in terms of the non-refundable deposits.
Because the suggestion that pistonboy put forward would have to include all deposits in those states.
Even then it would be a grey area because, deposits returned or not, technically the law was already broken.

I have to think with as much attention that Paul and his lawyers seem to pay to legal detail...
That they surely would have put all the refundables in escrow as per SEC rules.

But then again, if that logic were sound, how did they "miss" that they were breaking LA laws?

What would SRK deposits have to do with Elio Motors?

Anyway, if all of those states that piston boy described jump on the bandwagon at the 11th hour...
It's going to look a lot like Tucker all over again.

Last edited:

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If there is a seriously possibility of other states imposing such fines on EM, how can EM avoid this? Can EM immediately cancel all sales to people in these states and return their money, and this avoid such problems? Both EM and the reservationist would not like this and I would not either if I were in these states. However, if it is needed to prevent destroying EM (which dealers want) it would be needed. Perhaps these people can buy Elios in neighboring states and their spots in line honored there.[/QUOTE

" Amazon isn't selling any cars itself — at least for now. "
https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/25/12639600/amazon-vehicles-car-reviews-specs-community
Who knows, maybe Elio could be the first.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Arcimoto, Meccanica, and others are also taking reservations for 3 wheel vehicles from people in Lousiana. They are doing the exact same thing EM is doing. What is the commission doing about these companies. Has the commission fined them? Of course not. Their volume will be low and not a threat to the people on the commission with dealerships.

This shows that the commission is singling out EM.

I wonder if this will be pointed out to the judge when appealed.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Arcimoto, Meccanica, and others are also taking reservations for 3 wheel vehicles from people in Lousiana. They are doing the exact same thing EM is doing. What is the commission doing about these companies. Has the commission fined them? Of course not. Their volume will be low and not a threat to the people on the commission with dealerships.

This shows that the commission is singling out EM.

I wonder if this will be pointed out to the judge when appealed.
It could be due to the fact that Elio Motors probably has considerably more reservations made in Louisiana than the handful of Arcimoto, Electra Meccanica, Sondors and all the other 3-wheelers combined. Look at some of the numbers as of two weeks ago: Arcimoto @ 1500 total, Electra Meccanica @ 536 total, Sondors @ 1700 (investor SILs). With those small numbers, who knows how many LA reservations were actually taken. Would it really be worth the commision's time, effort and legal fees to pursue these extremely smaller fish?

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep. It's SOP, but most people don't realize it.
Most of the regulations in this country aren't written by politicians.
They're written by the top people in the industries that the regulations are supposed to regulate.
Big Pharma, Insurance, Health Care, FDA, Big Oil, Defense, Finance, Communications, Auto Safety, the list is almost endless.

it's been business as usual for more than a century.
This is just a few examples of the way the world is really run...

If you really want an eye-opener...
Watch "What the Health" on netflix.

And see who are the largest sponsors of...

The American Cancer Society
The American Diabetes Association
The American Heart Association
Susan G. Koman

Those sponsors include the meat and dairy industry, processed foods, large drug companies and fast food.

Also check out who's on the U.S. Dietary Advisory Committee...
The people that write the 'Dietary Guidelines for Americans' for the USDA.

It even pisses Steve-O off.

Check out the Ag-Gag laws that criminalize whistle blowers...
And the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act.

These laws not only support civil cases against the public, they often result in criminal charges.
Ask Oprah about the cost of publicly saying people shouldn't eat hamburger.

Seriously.

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It could be due to the fact that Elio Motors probably has considerably more reservations made in Louisiana than the handful of Arcimoto, Electra Meccanica, Sondors and all the other 3-wheelers combined. Look at some of the numbers as of two weeks ago: Arcimoto @ 1500 total, Electra Meccanica @ 536 total, Sondors @ 1700 (investor SILs). With those small numbers, who knows how many LA reservations have actually been taken. Would it really be worth the commisions time, effort and legal fees to pursue these extremely smaller fish?
Numbers should not make a difference. If it is illegal for one, it is illegal for all. Supposedly, law is enforced for all, not selectively.

Top Bottom