• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Metal...body?

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This all seems very imprecise. Maybe they should break out "Military Grade" into the various branches:

Army: Strong, cheap and available in mass quanitities, but heavy
Navy: Corrosion resistant
Air Force: Strong and light, but expensive
Marines: Suitable for almost any application and quick to get but only available in small quantities

But to be serious for a second, pretty much all of those "aircraft" or "military" grade aluminum marketing slogans are referring to 6061-T6 aluminum.

You left out the Coast Guard.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No offense intended, but you use way too many words to convey way too little information and your formatting only adds to the confusion.
Kind off reminds me of the PhDs that used to work for me at Bell labs. I was never certain whether they were trying to blind me with their brilliance or baffle me with their Bull S...
Really? You are the one always asking people to cite their sources.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, I do not believe you are ignorant. I was merely discussing the same topic as you. Just because I quote you does not mean I am "answering" you. This message board is a discussion which includes many people, and I was expanding on what you said. We were all discussing this document, and you brought up a particularly confusing passage. I felt this passage required further explanation, so I dug into it and spelled it out for everybody.

If I thought that you were some poor ignorant sap who needed something explained to him, then I would have done so in a private message so that you could save face in the public discussion.

I believe a quote is direct reply to the person and is speaking directly to them.

If I wish to speak directly to the person and also make a general statement to everyone, I do the following:

I quote the person and speak directly to them. Then I close the post and start a new post with the information I am directing to everyone.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They can make the front fenders, fascia, and hood out of metal if they want. I want everything else aft of that to be made out of plastic for dent resistance.

Which reminds me: Since EM has stated its intent to make the Elio meet automotive safety standards, does that mean it will be designed to meet low speed bumper standards? (I know, I know: Ask EM.)

Wait, the Elio has bumpers? :p

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No offense intended, but you use way too many words to convey way too little information and your formatting only adds to the confusion.
Kind off reminds me of the PhDs that used to work for me at Bell labs. I was never certain whether they were trying to blind me with their brilliance or baffle me with their Bull S...

Most likely, In their, there, they're pursuit of technical perfection, They lost contact with their, there, they're English competence and were unable to adequately communicate their, there, they're professional competence. :rolleyes::yo:

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wait, the Elio has bumpers? :p
Looks like NHTSA has provided the answer to my question (and yours):

[low speed bumpers are] not a safety feature intended to prevent or mitigate injury severity to occupants in the passenger cars.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/studies/Bumper/Index.html

I guess since Elio is aiming to meet passenger car safety requirements, and the bumper standards are not a passenger safety feature, EM would not need to meet the bumper standards. Logic to the rescue...Problem solved!

robert109

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the new Shreveport video, did Frick (Elio Plant Mgr) say "...Metal body..." Anyone else catch this? It's @ the 2:13 mark of the video. If this is indeed the case, and Elio has switched to steel exterior panels, all I can say is...I'm THANKFUL I waited this long to buy in with my $. NO STEEL for this guy. If anyone disagrees with me about this, that's fine - your money, your call.

Just send in that question/concern to tellmemore@eliomotors.com

robert109

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your request (91444) has been solved. To reopen this request, reply to this email.

Elio.jpe

Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)
Aug 1, 16:49 EDT
Hello Robert,
Thanks for reaching out to!
Sheet molded composite is still the design direction but we are looking at other materials, i.e. steel and other automotive skin materials that could help us make the vehicle better, safer, more reliable and improve upon our four tenets. All changes and potential improvements must fit within our four tenets and our existing timeline to be considered.
Thanks,
Elio Team

c145be53c3f?size=40&default=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.zendesk.com%2Fimages%2F2016%2Fdefault-avatar-80.png

r.veach
Aug 1, 10:47 EDT
In the new Shreveport video, did Frick (Elio Plant Mgr) say "...Metal body..." It's @ the 2:13 mark of the video. Has the Elio design team switched to steel exterior panels?
Thanks;
Robert Veach
All In Guy

Top Bottom