• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V76 E-series Progress - Hvac Testing Update

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to heat water to simulate the engine doing the same. They KNOW what temperature the thermostat is and how hot the water will be as it enters the Elio. They should know the flow rate. After that, it's easy to plumb an external source to the heater core.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder, when they get done with HVAC testing, do they return the Elio for other testing, or keep it? Done in this case means after all 'adjustments are done. Or are they putting in a real engine at some point and do a final confirmation test?

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
..... Translation: the A/C still needs work.
How in the world do you draw that conclusion? I have read and re-read EM's statement. Her is what they said, "The initial testing of the HVAC system of the E1D is right in line with our expectations...."
I am under the impression that EM "expects" the A/C to work well.

And the rest of that sentence (partially quoted above) says, "....and allows our engineers to improve the vehicle based on our findings."

My interpretation: Because the A/c system works "as expected" we can now add or remove things like, insulation or 'heat shielding', or adjust placement of ducts.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a good thing probably after getting the air flow going to the right place inside the car. They will size the compressor and radiator to handle the
area to be cooled for all temperature condition. All good.
It's more likely that refinements have to be made to the ductwork and possibly the blower fan, but the compressor and radiator seem to be up to the job. The claim is that the A/C performance was about what they expected (leaving room for some improvements), heat was comparable to other cars, and defrost was really good.

The big problem is distributing cool (or hot) air where it needs to be, particularly in the rear seat. There just plain isn't room to run separate ducts all the way from the engine compartment to the rear passenger compartment, unless they are very wide and shallow -- and I have no idea how well that would work. Obviously they're getting some a/c back there, and about what they expected (however good or bad that is) overall.

EM's clearly given this a lot of thought and is working on it, but at least as far as A/C is concerned, there's some distance to the goal. But since there are no required standards, they may just reach a point and call it "good enough." Don't know that that's true -- we just don't have enough information to work with.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not to sound like an Elio elitist, but I wonder if the Solo went through the same quality of HVAC testing as the Elio?
No word on that yet Seth. Electra Meccanica is being very careful to limit "forward thinking" statements.
They want to be sure that any real-world specifications they release are correct and validated.
The last information I got was that Solo #1 is still undergoing testing.

There are nine more Solos are under contruction that are to be used for further testing and compliance certifications.

Top Bottom