• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

More Fluff

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, I have been saying $6995 for about 4 months now..as the basic elio cost go up, the only way to meet your profit margins, is to
1. raise the base price
2. raise the price of the options
3. screw the customer in financing by adding $20-$30 a month to the payment.

FYI, I just left the furniture business after 4 years of part time work. Furniture uses about a 2.2 to a 2.4 mark up!
If a sofa costs $185 dollars add the freight 12%..is $207..x ..2 x 2 = $459 ...might help you if you need furniture. (2.2)

ArthurKent

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Today the Elio Marketing team put out their weekly reader -- all about how many jobs Elio would produce.
I sent them the following note, and wonder how many of you agree with it.

It will only mean jobs if you get something actually built and sold. Stop with the promises and start with the deliveries.

You need to say much more about where you are in the design process and in the design-for-manufacturing process. You need to be more specific all the way around.

Pieces like this just jeopardize your credibility … all fluff, no meat.​
Unfortunately, we have folks like this floating around, telling the Elio company how to behave and what to do.
So I will issue my own advice to Paul Elio as well : you have done an excellent job designing a revolutionary
vehicle and by my calculations your vehicle is three times cleaner emission-wise, than a Tesla Model S electric,
at highway speeds. I also think you are very thorough and careful in your effort to secure both financing
and obtain factory locations. I also am impressed by the way you have set up financing and servicing - all
without, unlike Tesla Motors, any assistance from any govt. Despite all this, we have on this forum, people that,
quite frankly would be booted off every other forum I participate in. I learned long ago that people that try to push their weight around are people you don't want as customers.
So my advice would be to say Adios to any and all such people. Believe me, their insolent behavior is not worth
tolerating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can make a point without name-calling -- if you actually have one to make. With a couple of decades in high-level corporate communications, I'm qualified to advise Elio or anybody else in this area. Which is what my post was about.

As a newbie, you have offered scorn based in lack of knowledge, careless reading and ignorance. If that's what you bring to the table your contribution will be limited indeed..

Last edited:

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't attack the messenger. Attack the argument.

If you can. Else, keep your ammo dry for when it matters.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
High-level corporate communications? Secretary to the boss?
High-level corporate communications? Secretary to the boss?

Not exactly -- try two national awards for corporate communications, and management and consulting assignments for GE, HP, Union Carbide, and many, many others. At GE I reported directly to the Sr. VP for Engineering …helping engineering-oriented firms communicate was a specialty.

Now that we've settled that, I'm fed up with nastiness in place of discussion on this forum. It isn't necessary, and it isn't helpful. We would all like Elio to succeed. And it is a fundamental fact of successful organizational communications that facts -- concrete, specifiable, verifiable -- facts have a whole lot more credibility than promises unbacked by performance.

Celebrate your accomplishments, be a little more forthcoming about challenges (as GM is slowly learning to be), and you gain credibility. This is vital for a start-up with money problems and engineering challenges.

I certainly hope Elio learns this lesson, and not the hard way. Like all of us here, I want them to succeed. But that doesn't mean I have to wear blinders. Nor should you and your fellow flamers.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Basically, you were an English translator for people who speak engineer?

Agreed, this place has really gone downhill in the past 2 months, when I joined none of these wars were going on.

A lot of "translating" engineer speak to human and vice versa. But … managed technical PR, internal communications, external communications, speechwriting, publisher of a 48 page slick quarterly (technical PR), board member of Corporate Communicators of America, winner International Association of Business Communicators Gold Quil, etc etc. Later, consultant in organizational change and development, fortune 100 companies. The battle between forthcoming and reticent was and is a chronic issue.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me, but I sure think name-calling, flaming, and rudeness have no place here or elsewhere. Frankly, I'm sick of it, and if it continues, I'm outta here.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ekh, I for one appreciate your input . . . and your patience with some of our more juvenile members. Corporate communications requires not only the ability to speak "engineer", "plant", "accountant", and "management", but most of the time, "customer" as well. Now there's a thankless but critical task, but it offers you some unique insight into the business process.

For a bit of relief, I discovered by clicking a consistently offensive person's avatar, you'll reveal a pop-up containing some of their registry information, as well as an option to "ignore" that person. Try it for yourself. Since this discovery, I've found life to be a good deal sunnier without the trolls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom