• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am working hard on this project in the background at the moment, the "business side of it" type stuff that absorbs a lot of time, and a bit slow on physical updates on the car itself just for the moment.

Hope you understand, without a business package to move forward, the vehicle doesn't get made.
I suspect building one isn't too tough for a guy with your experience and skills. Building many multiples has to be one of the most complex and challenging tasks for anyone to tackle.

Many are pulling for you and more will join – once they see the rubber hit the road. Here's hoping the business side pieces fall together just as you wish!

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Took some searching but I found this from an earlier post. Looks good to me.

TRUNK.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I got back into the factory this afternoon, drew up a temporary gearchange mounting, took it to the laser shop with a box of ice pops for a bribe (hot today), and 30 minutes later back in my factory folding and fitting it.

Gearchange mount 1.jpg

The gearchange sits high up next to the steering wheel, bit like some mini vans, and the stock cables are an easy straight'ish run to the gearbox, without kinks, twists, or sharp bends, so the change is light and silky smooth.

Won't know if the position is comfortable until I drive it later this week after I get a seat mounted.

gearchange 2.jpg

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very funny, yuk, yuk, yuk.... I'll keep that in mind if the car comes to market and I'm studying the trunk space trying to decide if it's big enough and should I buy this.
Guess we all have different priorities when looking at a vehicle. Two areas the BEX will win for sure. Average price now for a new vehicle in the U.S. is over $45,000 and the average MPG is 25. I'd come out far ahead, by buying two BEXs and taking the back seat out of one if I had to! ;)

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There seems to be two ways the BEX can go. First, make it a toy like Slingshot and sell a couple thousand for people to play with. Second, make it a practical commuter vehicle for 2 people with a reasonable amount of luggage space and sell a million. Cars do not sell because of price and gas milage alone, they need to be usable.

As to buying two, one with and one without a back seat. Try selling that idea to the wife when she wants you to go to the grocery store with her. I guess you could get a tow bar and pull one behind the other.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well the first test drive happened today, accidentally.

.. after welding in the gearchange mount and a few other little things, I started it up while sitting on the side of the frame, pressed the clutch in, put it in first, let the clutch out, fell backwards when it jerked forwards, and there I was laying on my back on the frame with the BEX idling forward without concern, heading straight towards the rear of my forklift.

... and that was when I discovered the brakes are working just fine, after just barely getting my toes to the pedal while on my back

.... I had better mount a seat next me thinks!

Top Bottom