• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will you still offer a manual transmission option?? I like the simplicity of a manual transmission and clutch (in all of my vehicles)

Yes, I figure there is about 50/50 split, but also have the feeling that when it comes to the crunch, there will be a greater uptake of autos over manuals.

Do you have a revised MPG estimate for the Mongrel with the 1.5 Honda engine and a manual gear box??

I never believed Elio's nonsense of 84 mpg, not even sure how he came about to claim that, but most people have indicated that if the BEX got between 50 to 60 mpg real world driving, they would be satisfied, and I can't see why not.

There's a serious weight reduction and superior aero over a FIT, the weight will get you City MPGs, and the aero for Hwy MPGs.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I most certainly agree .... the fact that it allows you offer an automatic tranny is icing on the cake .... add me to the list of those who would love to have a full power model :clap2:

Do you have the word "Hoon" in USA speak?

"hoon"

INFORMAL•AUSTRALIAN

noun

A lout or hooligan, especially a young man who drives recklessly.

According to auto expert Scotty Kilmer Toyota and Honda make the best engines out there. A Honda engine and an automatic sound like a winning combination in terms of reliability and sales. Much better choice than a Chevy engine.

It's all relative these days, modern engines are ALL good engines, with only a few exceptions, but sure, Toyota and Honda certainly seem to have longevity on their side.

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This on the back of the BEX would sell cars.

images.png

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got the new donor this afternoon, I am a little worried how much power it's got, the BEX will fly! But there is little choice if an auto is to be had. I may have to figure how to detune them a bit.

I am slightly concerned about the exhaust mainifold being on the rear of the cylinder head, it's ok when you have 2 people, you can have a tunnel between the 2 of you and route the exhaust through there, it changes when there's only one person sitting in the middle ... we will see what we can figure out.

So I got very close to pulling it out today, everything except for the main wiring loom and rear engine mount, and I should be able to lift it out tomorrow and start figuring the modifications required.

It might be easier just to scratch build a new chassis as I have gotten it down to a pretty quick build, which is the whole point when you are going to make a few of them continuously.

Those of you who know Honda Civics and Fits, know what a small engine bay and short nose they have, notice the Honda engine in what is basically a Corolla, and see the massive room around the engine, especially behind it!

Sorry about my finger partly over the camera lens.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

"hoon"

INFORMAL•AUSTRALIAN

noun

"hoon" :confused2: is a new one for me but we do have plenty of reckless drivers of all ages .... at age 75 my need for speed ain't what it used to be .... my interest in having high horsepower stems from our hope to tour in our BEX .... having high horsepower would make towing a trailer while driving through the Great Smoky Mountain Range much more enjoyable ..... over the years I've driven the Blue Ridge Parkway -- https://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm and Tail Of The Dragon -- https://tailofthedragon.com/ ..... having an automotive cooling system and high horse power really makes such outings considerably more enjoyable

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I figure there is about 50/50 split, but also have the feeling that when it comes to the crunch, there will be a greater uptake of autos over manuals.

I never believed Elio's nonsense of 84 mpg, not even sure how he came about to claim that, but most people have indicated that if the BEX got between 50 to 60 mpg real world driving, they would be satisfied, and I can't see why not.

There's a serious weight reduction and superior aero over a FIT, the weight will get you City MPGs, and the aero for Hwy MPGs.
50 to 60 mpg sounds good to me.

Last edited:

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score

"hoon"

INFORMAL•AUSTRALIAN

noun

It's all relative these days, modern engines are ALL good engines, with only a few exceptions, but sure, Toyota and Honda certainly seem to have longevity on their side.
huh... been called a loon before. Didn't know I was a hoon too!! :bounce:

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I figure there is about 50/50 split,
Thank you... I guess I'm just stuck in my ways and prefer a manual transmission.
BEX got between 50 to 60 mpg real world driving, they would be satisfied, and I can't see why not.

I'm thinking it would be slightly higher than that... I'm getting 41mpg with a Nissan (sedan) with a 1.6L (5 speed manual) - city/highway combined.
I am a little worried how much power it's got
I'm in agreement. I'm worried how the automobile/motorcycle insurance companies will view the BEX. Will they see it as an economy autocycle or a sport autocycle?? There is a HUGE price difference for 600cc motorcycles vs. 1,000cc liter bikes (at least my insurance company).

Can I ask a hypothetical question?? How about offering your original BEX mongrel with the 1.0L - 5 speed manual and offer the automatic with the 1.5L Honda engine?? Is that possible??

In my opinion, I think the Polaris Slingshot and the Vanderhall vehicle lines have the "toy" aspect covered. I was thinking the BEX would do better in the economy commuter niche, especially with the option of purchasing the smaller 1.0L engine as an option.

Top Bottom