• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I won't waste my time and energy trying to figure out the EXPECTED MPG for the BEX. Mark will do that for us and he will provide all the real world stats we're hungry for! Anything upwards of 50mpg is a winner in my book because I'm not a hypermiler kinda guy. :nono:
The worth of a car does not depend of super milage alone.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
....then you're talking my language. Getting too caught up with BEX's anticipated mpg or worse, even comparing it to ELIO's unrealized 84mpg is what I see here so far. BEX's simple design structure, use of proven 3cyl engine, a manual trans and if there's no major issues (mechanical, electrical, etc) after 5 years, I'm a happy camper. Upwards of 50mpg is topping on the cake. But that's me.
At this point in the prototyping process, everything is unrealized. My realization is that for a long, long time we have all wanted an affordable three wheeler that’s fun, reliable, and economical to operate. Came close a couple of times.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At this point in the prototyping process, everything is unrealized. My realization is that for a long, long time we have all wanted an affordable three wheeler that’s fun, reliable, and economical to operate. Came close a couple of times.
I agree.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The worth of a car does not depend of super milage alone.

It was a wonderful feeling running up and down the street in it, felt very personal, in your very own space.

A bit like riding a motorcycle but of course sitting down in comfort and having 'walls' between you and other people, if you know what I mean. I can see Solo and Acrimoto owners getting the same buzz.

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was a wonderful feeling running up and down the street in it, felt very personal, in your very own space.

A bit like riding a motorcycle but of course sitting down in comfort and having 'walls' between you and other people, if you know what I mean. I can see Solo and Acrimoto owners getting the same buzz.
I've got a pretty good imagination so I can imagine what it feels like. One of the reasons I want a tandem 3 wheeler is because I miss my days when I covered half the U.S. on a BMW bike. I'm getting too old for that now, so my hope was the Elio would be a good substitute. Now I hope the BEX will be.

600px-Bmw-r80rt-1981-1981-0.jpg

1982 BMW R80rt, my old friend that never let me down.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Even more personal when you have engineered, designed, and fabricated it! :) Every person (young and old) I’ve seen test driving/riding the Arcimoto FUV had a big A.S.S. Smile on their faces. Arcimoto Smile Syndrome. Likely true with your BEX when you complete the prototype and build a handful of test drive vehicles.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only draw-back to the experience was that panel drumming from flat sheet in the chassis.

Low hum fatigue

I am ultra sensitive to low frequency sounds, they drive me crazy, wake me up at night often, trucks parked idling away, generators running for example.

I live riverside, and have a dam a mile upstream, and for years it had a low frequency hum that was driving a few of us crazy, water passing under the steel chute blades acting like a tuning fork. It was bad enough to be vibrating the walls of our houses, but only handful of us could hear it/were being affected by it. I was delighted when I went to the Government to find I wasn't the only one who was affected by it, and who had complained about it!

My vehicle will not have these issues!

Anyway ..................................................................................

So most of the week I have been measuring and inputting into a new chassis for the Honda engine.

Most of the 3/4s of the rear is the same, although different, and the front 1/4 is completely revamped to make a simpler to produce, but stronger frame.

The biggest thing those interested might notice is the roll cage going all the way forward to meet and triangulate the front main rails.

Just about ready to start making it, and it won't take very long, and I will be using all the rear parts from the current frame.

Honda chassis 1.jpg

Top Bottom