• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just been playing with "Advantages of a tandem 3 wheeler", I hope the pictures are self explanatory...

Parking and driving around shopping center and other tight confines ..

advantages 3 wheel.jpg

Single action parallel parking.

park.jpg

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In this case, this is how I read 'up to'. (the devil is in the details)

You can get 84mpg, if you do everything they do to get that.
To establish a MPG rating, there is a standard sequence of testing that is done. Supposedly this matches an average of what happens accross the USA.

In my 2020 Corolla, I regularly get -2MPG under the model rating of 33MPG. In my old 2014 PriusC Hybrid, I regularly got +6MPG over the rating of 54MPG. And I drove both about the same. Very typically, the general public gets under what the standard rating is. I did know some tricks that take advantage of the Hybrid drive in the Prius.

I assume that Elio was estimating what the standard rating will be. So yah, your mileage may vary.

I think that for the Bex-Mongrel, total weight might be the factor to watch closely. Everything else is not up for much adjustment given the utilization of existing body parts and drive-train. Still a couple targets might be useful. How the front wheel covers and the open space where the suspension attaches, plus the arms themselves, smooth under-belly, these could make between a 2% to 20% change in the MPG.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, I made a shoot-from-the-hip estimate based on what I remember of my research days in college.
Generally, a car with the cd I expect the Bex-M(ongrel) to get, shares power required about equally between rolling and aero requirements at 60mph.
And if the stats of the Viking and the Bex-M hold to these values, I'm guessing these results under the conditions shown below, (mostly) as highway driving.
The comeptiton conditions for the Viking was actualy in mixed mode, highway(55mph) and city(25mph).

You mileage will vary depending on your driving style. This does depend on putting a reasonably sized and efficient engine in each car, with a standard tranny. The automatic will also vary from this estimate. But I did try and be conservative in my estimates.
The Viking was early1980's tech, so I'm being conservative on that too. But now we typically provide more HP comparably, so what is the balance?
(also, the top mpg Vikings have reached in mixed mode competition, 118mpg)

View attachment 25729
For my Atlantric, I figure I can get 120mpg in competition because I have less weight, better cd, lower sq-ft frontal area and newer engine tech available. (better tires etc etc, => under 1000lbs, cd=.19, 13-15sqft)
None of this matters until we see real world numbers and according to an accepted spec.

I guess what bothers me is I have to live by a different standard. I sell a piece of equipment I designed and built, it must get the numbers that the customer asks for. Paul never did that. It's easy to make claims, it's really hard to back them up.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Attachments

• 1653152702792.jpeg
    1653152702792.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 57

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I saw an "Elio alternate" yesterday. Maybe someone can identify it if I describe it. It was on a trailer and looked like a Slingshot, but with only seating for one--didn't appear to be tandem seating. Bright yellow paint with what appeared to be a molded fiberglass body. Southern Utah.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"I doubt a three wheeler would be driven by many on long haul destinations"

Like I had hoped to do with the Elio, I plan on some long distance trips with my BEX. Hopefully my wife will tag along, but if not... maybe she'll be home when I return. ;) I used to ride bikes on some fairly long journeys. The BEX will be even easier to travel.... air-conditioned, enclosed to keep out the elements, heater for the high mountains – or winter trips.... etc, etc.

I'll be towing a small bike luggage trailer. It'll hold enough baggage for two people to travel with on some coast to coast trips. There's a lot of country that I didn't see while on my bikes. I need to make up lost time – before I run out of time.

Rain, sleet or snow ain't much fun on a bike. The elements won't phase me in a BEX. I won't have to find an overpass to wait for the rain storm to move through.

The centered seat driving position will be almost as enjoyable as riding a bike.... and much safer these days with the idiots driving with cell phones in hand! ;)
......and the convenience of fill-up and go.....it's GAS!!! :clap2: By the way, just in case anybody missed it, Mark will be offering an automatic trans. :clap2:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I saw an "Elio alternate" yesterday. Maybe someone can identify it if I describe it. It was on a trailer and looked like a Slingshot, but with only seating for one--didn't appear to be tandem seating. Bright yellow paint with what appeared to be a molded fiberglass body. Southern Utah.

Sounds like a HM Vehicles Freeway.

1653194069759.png

Top Bottom