• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
all the measurements recorded and once it's tested and validated then he can hire people to duplicate in numbers-

Simplistic, but it's the basic plan.

I have revised the rollbar structure to make production easier. The B pillars now have a larger diameter, 4" long piece of tube each end, that the now 4 rollbars simply slip inside of. This allows me a lot of leeway while fitting and aligning the bars, just makes it all easier, while also a tighter fit into the bodywork. Win, win.

B pillars 4.jpg

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Man! You were born to do this. You make every one else, including me, look like posers! And it's true, I played in this field of war because at the time (2002) I didn't see anyone else pick up the sword. But you did, and you are slaying it! Elio started in 2008?, but IC you will be leaving them far behind. And not too long from now either.

I am noticing one other innovation you are proving. You know how different makes will share many parts, even body parts, like Acura vs Honda? You are proving this can happen between 4 seat models vs a tandem. This could (with care) go a long way to reducing the cost of design and tooling of future tandem models. And cost IS thier biggest attraction. I'm predicting other makers to invite you over to do the same for them, maybe as a consultant, or as a business partnership. You did say you had some industry interactions. I think it will get even deeper.
Well said AriLea! Mark could be doing (building) other things with his time and money – but he's chosen this path and I'm so glad to see him do it. It's long, long past due for a vehicle like this to be available. AND in today's climate of outrageous vehicle prices and fuel costs, the Mongrel couldn't be coming at a better time. I so proud Mark is building it. I'm loving every post and pic.

Mark, I hope you realize that you could very well be on the verge of impacting personal transportation in a most positive way! Keep it up mate!

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm predicting other makers to invite you over to do the same for them, maybe as a consultant, or as a business partnership.

I've tried, the frustration is beyond belief trying to work with groups of engineers who are prisoners of systems that stifle innovation, or worse, lack of direction.

Verdant

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I never understood the Harley mentality of making small objects matte black before they ride on the road at high speeds... I'm looking forward to stripping my BEX down to paint it either a Kawasaki Green or Mopar Orange. =)

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The new setup for the B pillars has allowed me to eliminate the "4th bend", which I only added a few days ago (red arrow), which is great, as now the front sections of the roll bars only need the one bend, and simply twist in at the top to tuck them into the bodywork.

1654954791393.png

Today was spend measuring and designing engine mounts, because they have to fit in with the roll bars on the main engine rails without clashing. You can see the gearbox mount in the picture above, not quite sitting on the rail, it's not a problem, the problem is the engine end.

Engine mount file sent to laser shop, hope to have part tomorrow morning.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This ugly thing is the RH engine mount. A simple affair at the moment, just a laser cut plate with a rubber isolater bush in a housing with a bolt welded to it, as I wanted it adjustable for the moment.

Engine mount rh.jpg

As often happens, the moment I bolted it on, I immediately saw a better way, one of those "Doh" moments that you just don't see until you make something the wrong way, that shines a light on the right way.

But anyway, that's easy now, the plate will be half the length, and the rubber isolator bush will sit on top of the rail as I now know it will miss the rollbar front leg. By the way, the bush is a Toyota HiLux suspension bush, another easy to get, off the shelf item.

The next drama was, when I made the mount, it showed me where the engine will be positioned, then I noticed the CV driveshaft interfered with the frame at the lower control arm mount, arrow above, luckily I was able to modify that frame area, rather than needing to reconstruct it for now.

I'm feeling personally attacked right now :fencing:

:-) Just an old joke, I'm a Monty Python fan, it's in Life Of Brian ..

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As often happens, the moment I bolted it on, I immediately saw a better way,
Yes, I've had similar experiences. I was working with some marble for my master bath and wasted two pieces trying to get the cut, just right (its an old house and nothing is square/true). Before making my third attempt, I made a cardboard template and was able to see what I was doing wrong and what the solution was.
For me, I do think I'm more of a visual person... so seeing a cardboard template (in place) seems to help me.

I've used cardboard templates/patterns for all manner of projects, from drop in sinks to cargo trailer parts.

I also wanted to jump on and "thank you" for your continued efforts with this project. My girlfriend has added some additional destinations to "our" bucket list.

Top Bottom