• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Along those lines, have exterior / interior colors been selected?? or discussed??

I don't really have a preference, but would prefer not to have black on black as it will be very hot in the desert.
If Mark wants to use this prototype to promote the car, then the way it looks is as important as the way it runs. You have to give it to Elio. They made their prototypes look really great and I'm sure that's one reason so many people liked them. So, the bottom line is this. If you want the car to sell, then it can't look like some homemade toy no matter how great it performs.

Attachments

• elio-motors-ec1-la-2016.jpg
    elio-motors-ec1-la-2016.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 66

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lot of time sorting the rollbars today, and I had to add a 4th bend to them for decent fitment.

The 4th bend is also on a different plane, arrow, so that means now that I have to have left and right rollbars, although the bend is perpendicular (90 degrees) to the other 3 bend's plane, which makes life a bit easier to replicate, as well as lining up with the main engine rails, which I wasn't worried about, I was more interested in tucking it into the side panels A pillar, but makes it look neater.

Roll cage 2.jpg

Roll cage 3.jpg

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I lost my car to tornado damage. We just had another tornado last night. (Dayton Ohio) Went north of my home, so no damage this time. This does bring up something that may add to the BEX type vehicles being less expensive to buy/maintain, the insurance costs should be lower. With the weather all screwed up I could see where the insurance companies will be raising rates again.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I lost my car to tornado damage. We just had another tornado last night. (Dayton Ohio) Went north of my home, so no damage this time. This does bring up something that may add to the BEX type vehicles being less expensive to buy/maintain, the insurance costs should be lower. With the weather all screwed up I could see where the insurance companies will be raising rates again.
One would think insurance on a BEX Mongrel should be very reasonable compared to other vehicles. The cost to replace a totaled Mongrel will cost approx 1/3 (or less) than the cost of new autos. That’s a biggie right there.

Then compared to a motorcycle, the Mongrel will be much safer. Fully enclosed with roll cage and side impact protection. Windows and doors to keep arms and legs inside and protected in a crash. ( I know of a guy that lost his arm by hanging it out his window, holding his cigarette. Not pretty after he was T-boned and rolled.)

Looks like to me, the Mongrel should be about as economical as any on the road to insure. I can’t imagine why not….. although many Mongrels may be stolen, as they will be coveted to the max. They may end up #1 on insurance’s “ most stolen” list!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A three wheeler vehicle is insured as a motorcycle. It took awhile for insurance companies to officially add the Arcimoto FUV their list of motocycle manufacturers. Owner’s have mentioned rates that vary from $180 - $500 per year depending on the State, the Insurance Provider, and coverage. Seems reasonable. They mentioned it was important to shop to compare rates.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the insurance costs should be lower.

I have a plan to present to the insurance company, or companies, regarding fixed price major component replacement.

Looks like to me, the Mongrel should be about as economical as any on the road to insure. I can’t imagine why not…..

Because they don't know what's involved skillz wise, and what replacement components are going to cost them. I hope to be able to provide them with the relevant information to keep policy costs down.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a plan to present to the insurance company, or companies, regarding fixed price major component replacement.

Because they don't know what's involved skillz wise, and what replacement components are going to cost them. I hope to be able to provide them with the relevant information to keep policy costs down.
Mark…. We can’t beat that with a stick. ;)

appreciate you covering all the bases! That’s awesome! (AND you’re doing it all without a $1K “donation”.)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well many of you did, $5 million just for the prototypes.

It's best that I concentrate on function over form just for the moment, ease and simplicity of manufacturing is the priority for now, "ohhh, pretty" can come later.
I agree that form follows function, but one can have both. Regarding Elio’s $5 Million for prototypes; a Prototype Team member’s personal experience with that build:

1654806197753.jpeg

I have way more confidence in BEX! :)

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree that form follows function, but one can have both. Regarding Elio’s $5 Million for prototypes; a Prototype Team member’s personal experience with that build:

View attachment 25787

I have way more confidence in BEX! :)
Well, Mark didn't have to worry about red tape- he does all the work on his proto, all the measurements recorded and once it's tested and validated then he can hire people to duplicate in numbers- it's a win-win.

Top Bottom