• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What about deleting the brake booster,

3 reasons.

This vehicle will be city use orientated for most, 'power brakes' are light with short pedal travel, and have pretty much been a feature in cars since the 70s, including the smallest of cars today.

30% of the interested parties are 60 years+, and some have mentioned "bad knees" and therefore can't drive a manual anymore.

I am trying to stick with OEM packages that don't need modification, deleting the booster will require adaption and modified pushrod.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had a win today.

The brake master cylinder and booster from the NP1 (naked prototype 1) can be adapted to the CPTNCJYBWHEIEGS 1 (covered prototype though no cover just yet but will happen eventually if everything goes smoothly 1).

I laser cut a pattern for the new holes that were then drilled into the CPTNCJYBWHEIEGS 1's brake pedal bracket (pictured), and of course new holes for the new firewall as well to match.

Firewall pedals 4.jpg

You can now see how much shorter it is in the picture, and another good thing, it's much lower too.

Firewall pedals 5.jpg

The pushrod clevis pin adapter comes up short, easy enough to make new ones of those though.

Firewall pedals 6.jpg

There is a small difference in pedal leverage, that will increase pedal pressure, can't tell the real difference till I drive it. Goes from 240/100 to 250/120, or 2.4:1 to 2.1:1.

Quite lucky I could make the change, and lose just one day on this, I could have been at this for a week searching parts shops for the right combination.

Note I had a bench full of boosters and mst cylinders, and that was just what I had laying around in the shop

Firewall 7 pedals.jpg

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had a win today.

The brake master cylinder and booster from the NP1 (naked prototype 1) can be adapted to the CPTNCJYBWHEIEGS 1 (covered prototype though no cover just yet but will happen eventually if everything goes smoothly 1).

I laser cut a pattern for the new holes that were then drilled into the CPTNCJYBWHEIEGS 1's brake pedal bracket (pictured), and of course new holes for the new firewall as well to match.

View attachment 25762

You can now see how much shorter it is in the picture, and another good thing, it's much lower too.

View attachment 25763

The pushrod clevis pin adapter comes up short, easy enough to make new ones of those though.

View attachment 25764

There is a small difference in pedal leverage, that will increase pedal pressure, can't tell the real difference till I drive it. Goes from 240/100 to 250/120, or 2.4:1 to 2.1:1.

Quite lucky I could make the change, and lose just one day on this, I could have been at this for a week searching parts shops for the right combination.

Note I had a bench full of boosters and mst cylinders, and that was just what I had laying around in the shop

View attachment 25761
This is all very interesting. Wish I had a clue what it was all about. I'm kind of like Oddball, "I only ride em., I don't know what makes em work" :crazy:

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is all very interesting. Wish I had a clue what it was all about. I'm kind of like Oddball, "I only ride em., I don't know what makes em work" :crazy:
Another interesting thing is you can find almost anything in YouTube to fix your car- the latest I've done was replacing the idle control valve on my 1999 Toyota Camry. It showed step by step how to remove and install a new one and saved me some serious money that I wouldn't have tried before the dawn of YouTube.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another interesting thing is you can find almost anything in YouTube to fix your car- the latest I've done was replacing the idle control valve on my 1999 Toyota Camry. It showed step by step how to remove and install a new one and saved me some serious money that I wouldn't have tried before the dawn of YouTube.
Yep.... YouTube has saved me many times. It can be a really good "how to fix it" source.

Back in the day, I learned by watching and helping my Dad. He could fix just about anything. He had to fix things or do without... at least when he was younger – going through the Great Depression. I was fortunate to pick up a few things from him.

YouTube has helped me stay somewhat current with new technology and gadgets. At least it gives me an idea where to start or to hand off to a professional.

YouTube is another thing I wished my Dad could have seen and taken advantage of. Hell, he'd made a fortune in having his own "fix it" channel. ha!

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Almost everything I know about cars I learned from Scotty Kilmer.

scotty-kilmer-01.jpg

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It showed step by step how to remove and install a new one and saved me some serious money that I wouldn't have tried before the dawn of YouTube.
Prior to youtube, I would go to a (pull it yourself) junkyard... find a similar model (car or truck), remove the part in question and take notes as to how this item came off the vehicle. If the part I removed was in good shape, I would purchase it and use it. If not, I'd leave it there & go purchase a new part.

I'd have my notes as to how to disassemble and remove the old part and just reverse the process to re-assemble with the new part.

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is not the right thread to continue a discussion on this point, but it does say how important a product the BEX may become, and remain for a long period of time. You can comment here on it.

From CNN (link)
Well, according to your view I would have to say this is not the web site to discuss the BEX or other 3 wheelers. This site is supposed to be devoted to the Elio. Problem is, there ain't no Elio and there ain't likely to be. So, lets cut some slack and discuss anything remotely related to it. At least that way we get something for the money we lost.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, according to your view I would have to say this is not the web site to discuss the BEX or other 3 wheelers. This site is supposed to be devoted to the Elio. Problem is, there ain't no Elio and there ain't likely to be. So, lets cut some slack and discuss anything remotely related to it. At least that way we get something for the money we lost.
the view of the forum is this is a web site in which to discuss the BEX or other 3 wheelers along with a wide variety of other topics .... post within a thread dedicated to any given topic can be prone to wander and most of the time they will come back on track on their own .... this thread was started to follow the development of the BEX and for the most part post have been authored with that in mind .... AriLea's posted reminder is very much on point and the discussion needs to refocus .... members who would like to discuss other topics should start threads in the appropriate area

Top Bottom