• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I bent up a set of roll cage today, very easy as I now how the patterns to work from, and they are bent on a flat plane. The people at Boeing weren't impressed.

The only change is clear, the forward cage tube goes all the way to the main engine rail.

1654367340748.png

Just standing in place by the grace of one loose clamp, later to fall and scissor my finger when I went to remove it ... I am in pain and suffering, but on the other hand, I'm just fine.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The last few days have been the Dragon Boat Festival for yet another National holiday, and the laser shop closed, but I am ready to go first thing in the morning with my B pillar file to be cut and folded, and the A/B pillar jig is sitting in place just waiting.

As you can see in the CAD drawing, the pillars are critical to positioning the roll bars, so tomorrow cometh please ...

B pillars 1.jpg

B pillars 2.jpg

I know some are techinically interested in the build, and the changes, so one thing I can mention I am pleased with, is I have lowered the dash bulkhead by 2", which will improve forward visibility of course. Red arrow ..

A pillars 2.jpg

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The last few days have been the Dragon Boat Festival for yet another National holiday, and the laser shop closed, but I am ready to go first thing in the morning with my B pillar file to be cut and folded, and the A/B pillar jig is sitting in place just waiting.

As you can see in the CAD drawing, the pillars are critical to positioning the roll bars, so tomorrow cometh please ...

View attachment 25777

View attachment 25778

I know some are techinically interested in the build, and the changes, so one thing I can mention I am pleased with, is I have lowered the dash bulkhead by 2", which will improve forward visibility of course. Red arrow ..

View attachment 25776
Dash lowered by two inches sounds like a good bit! Everything counts toward the total sum of driving enjoyment!!:thumb:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do you think the final dry weight will be less than 2000lbs (910kg)?

With ease, but I don't guess final weights otherwise, I have been quite surprised being both heavier and lighter than expected on projects before.

Here's the dense side of me sometimes, the video of me driving the prototype the other week, well when and where I am waiting for the factory gate to open, there is a weighbridge just a few feet to my left, completely didn't think about it, DOH!!

I might take it up there the next few days and weigh it, no brakes at the moment though as I stole the master cylinder for the new build.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
B pillars (center pillars) were finally lasered and folded today, letting me weld them into place with the aid of my longitudinal and lateral jigs holding them in place.

This allowed me to sit the side panels on so i can line up the roll cage tomorrow, and everything gets so much easier after that.

B pillars 3.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom