• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would contest that manuals get noisy bearings, especially input shaft, and of course clutches need changing likely twice in it's lifetime.
You are correct, but being a "shade tree" mechanic I can install a clutch, pressure plate, throw out and/or pilot bearing. Personally, I wouldn't even know where to begin on a computer controlled automatic transmission.
A friend lost the transmission in his '05 GM car and the cost to replace was over $3K, which (financially) totaled the car. The rest of the car was perfect. If it had been a manual transmission car, a clutch kit would have been about $150.
I've had pretty good luck with clutches, unless I do something stupid... I usually get about 150K+ miles on a clutch.
In my youth, I remember replacing a clutch in my Dodge Colt (rear wheel drive). I put the transmission on my chest and scooted it back in place. I was surprised how light that manual transmission was.

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are correct, but being a "shade tree" mechanic I can install a clutch, throw out and/or pilot bearing. Personally, I wouldn't even know where to begin on a computer controlled automatic transmission.
A friend lost the transmission in his '05 GM car and the cost to replace was over $3K, which (financially) totaled the car. The rest of the car was perfect. If it had been a manual transmission car, a clutch kit would have been about $150.
I've had pretty good luck with clutches, unless I do something stupid... I usually get about 150K+ miles on a clutch.
In my youth, I remember replacing a clutch in my Dodge Colt (rear wheel drive). I put the transmission on my chest and scooted it back in place. I was surprised how light that manual transmission was.
Totally agree. Besides, I don't have patience for the automatic transmission to change gears ( I'm not talking about the super expensive automatic trans sports cars that shift faster than me...:becky:) specially when going uphill. But that's just me.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Van transmission (62TE) 6 spd auto was 4,200 with 3yr warranty (which has just expired recently).
WOW!! That is just a hard pill to swallow. I imagine at 65K miles, most people are still making payments on a vehicle and to be hit with a large repair bill like that before its paid off... OUCH!!
I do remember replacing one manual transmission as a couple of the sychronizers were worn out. I found a low mileage transmission at a junkyard and between that, a new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing, it was still under $400.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey Sonoran Sam…..
I’ve heard a lot of good things about that 1.5L engine. Do you recall about how many RPMs yours ran at 70mph? What trans did you have?

i love the thought that this engine is going into the Mongrel.
It does a good job in our Fit at a little over 2000 lbs. The Mongrel's "dad" made terrible noises about detuning it. I still hope on hope stock engines would be available.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Getting the office together.

Not a simple deal for the steering, figuring out multiple adjustment capability to suit people from 5ft tall, to 6'6" tall ...

1665667836558.png

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I loved my old Ford Fiesta which had an automated electric Manual Transmission, where the computer decided when to shift and always did it perfectly and had better fuel & also acceleration performance than traditional auto transmissions.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
"capability to suit people from 5ft tall, to 6'6" tall" ---- REMARKABLE :cool:

how do you plan to rig a parking brake and to mount the brake handle ..?..

Top Bottom