• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Remember people, the vehicle will be built on the KISS theory.
Speaking of KISS. I understand the BEX is an ICE concept build and I’d buy one with a confirming test drive, but the BEXEV will be KISS to the MAX.
1667577693688.jpeg

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of KISS. I understand the BEX is an ICE concept build and I’d buy one with a confirming test drive, but the BEXEV will be KISS to the MAX.
View attachment 26105
EV...must...not...comment....ok, I'll do it...EVs are far more expensive to manufacture, especially after you take out government (meaning taxpayer) subsidies. Then you have the cost to replace the batteries...

There. I had to say it because you brought it up...again.

I apologize for being terse.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Then you have the cost to replace the batteries...
And it isn't a DIY type of job, where you can save some money. I've watched some of these youtubers play with these electric cars and I'm scared to death that one of them is going to get electrocuted. I see all of these high voltage stickers and warning labels all over those battery packs and there is no way I want to go anywhere near it. Personally, I'm way too scared to ever work on an electric car, one slip up and you're done.
If I make a mistake on an ICE car or truck; its just going to cost me money, not my life.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EV...must...not...comment....ok, I'll do it...EVs are far more expensive to manufacture, especially after you take out government (meaning taxpayer) subsidies. Then you have the cost to replace the batteries...

There. I had to say it because you brought it up...again.

I apologize for being terse.
1667598825279.jpeg

Yes to the BEX! ICE and a potential future EV option. My response to subsidies…no, I can’t do it.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem with EV's today, it's primarilly the batteries for their purchase expense and rebuild issues.
But most other major drivetrain maintenance? EV can far outstretch ICE.

That is, until you are talking about flow batteries, then potentially everything can get better for EV's.
So right now, the car replacement cycle and drivetrain rebuild costs are about the same (by order of magnitude) for EV's and ICE's.
But with the flow batteries, potentially the car can last 3+ times longer, charge much faster, and 1/10 the maintenance for the drive.

Anyway, that's all promissory futurisum, with an unknown delivery date.
Regardless of all EV data, I still could not drive to job (150 miles), inspect and aircraft, and drive home (150 miles) without adding considerable time for recharging. I've never done an inspection where there was a charging station in or around the hangar!

Last edited:

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And it isn't a DIY type of job, where you can save some money. I've watched some of these youtubers play with these electric cars and I'm scared to death that one of them is going to get electrocuted. I see all of these high voltage stickers and warning labels all over those battery packs and there is no way I want to go anywhere near it. Personally, I'm way too scared to ever work on an electric car, one slip up and you're done.
If I make a mistake on an ICE car or truck; its just going to cost me money, not my life.

I'm a diesel tech and I recently returned from visiting High Point, NC, and the Thomas Bus factory. There I went through a 3-day class on the decommissioning and recommissioning of the new electric bus. Currently, they run on 400 volts. There are so many safety protocols built-in that you REALLY have to try very hard to get yourself hurt that it's kinda ridiculous, lol. There was a guy that accidentally drilled 8 holes through metal right into the batteries and nothing bad happened. I have to imagine the cars have a lot of the same safety steps in mind. :)

Top Bottom