• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the headlight concept shown in his recent post is very similar to the one Elio used in its later prototypes
…….and it looks good, but I don’t think Elio was targeting NHTSA motorcycle certification requirements in their prototype builds. I was hoping BEX might be to save a lot of time. Arcimoto missed that step in the process too. They had a heck of a time finding and fitting the right head lamp and had to do an awkward looking turn signal retrofit so it was at the required angle and visible to traffic. Certification was quite the process…….multiple Betas shipped to different private testing lab locations. Still much easier than auto certification with all the required safety standards.

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
…….and it looks good, but I don’t think Elio was targeting NHTSA motorcycle certification requirements in their prototype builds. I was hoping BEX might be to save a lot of time. Arcimoto missed that step in the process too. They had a heck of a time finding and fitting the right head lamp and had to do an awkward looking turn signal retrofit so it was at the required angle and visible to traffic. Certification was quite the process…….multiple Betas shipped to different private testing lab locations. Still much easier than auto certification with all the required safety standards.

I'm not sure what Vanderhall did to get around the center mounted third light, but they sure don't have one. Perhaps both are always on then the vehicle is running and that's all they needed?

1668116042039.png
1668116144910.png

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Vanderhall did to get around the center mounted third light, but they sure don't have one. Perhaps both are always on then the vehicle is running and that's all they needed?

View attachment 26115View attachment 26116
NHTSA Motorcycle Cerification doesn‘t require a single center headlight. The Arcimoto FUV evolved from prototype to certified - left to right: They said it was a “certification from hell” process. Took well over a year.
1668118700510.jpeg

Last edited:

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
NHTSA Motorcycle Cerification doesn‘t require a single center headlight. The Arcimoto FUV evolved from prototype to certified - left to right: They said it was a “certification from hell” process. Took well over a year.
View attachment 26117

It may involve distance apart from each other then. Close enough together and toward the center.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It may involve distance apart from each other then. Close enough together and toward the center.
Last I checked, there is a diffinition for motorcycles (and r-trikes) that says some distance from the center, per each state.
For cars, the headlights had to be closer than a distance from the outside wheel/fender and from the front, per each state.
Most Autocycle rules reference to the auto/car rules.

The Vanderhal is a motorcycle/trike in most states. I'm guessing they placed the lights to meet both specifications for most US states.

The Solo meets this by placing lights at both the corners and a set at the center. So it can qualify under autocycle, auto(or car) and motorcycle rules.

Vanderhall Wiki . . . Apparently not in Utah (as of 2016) OR is it?
1668123404635.png

Edited: Notice the Cam-Am-Spyder lights, No lights at center.. Legal in all US states.
They always do have the tiny lights on the fenders.
1668181065531.png

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes,……spacing, height from ground level, and even the bulb lumens……and the list of MC certification requirements is long, however shorter than auto certification requirements. :) It would be most efficient to be aware of and apply as many certification requirements as possible into the prototype build.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oddly, I don’t see required turn signals on the Vanderhall?
Years ago I went to a hot rod show. Lots of beautiful vehicles (Frog Follies Evansville Indiana). I noticed some builders had painted the bodies the same color as the flush mounted taillights. Cool. But then I realized that by hiding them people driving behind don't know where they are until they come on. I prefer to have visual clues as to where lights are (on or off) on the vehicles around me. (Note: As I park in a garage I test my lights before leaving home. Anal I know).
I hope Mark keeps this in mind when doing the lights on his BEX.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Note: As I park in a garage I test my lights before leaving home. Anal I know).
I hope Mark keeps this in mind when doing the lights on his BEX.
This is NOT Anal at all. It should be SOP. You, as driver, are responsible for knowing that all lights are operating properly when you drive!

Last edited:
Top Bottom