• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oddly, I don’t see required turn signals on the Vanderhall?
I believe these (Red arrow) are the stock turn signals. And there are several kit upgrades avilable.

1668181897875.png
1668182055180.png

1668182654907.png

Attachments

• 1668182615311.png
    1668182615311.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Of the parts I got a few days ago, the front bumper bar was wrong, and it took some effort to find a matching bar to the fenders, but now has arrived, along with headlights.

arrived.jpg

From this model Accent, not quite the same model as the mock up picture a few days ago, later in fact ..

Verna front.jpg

(It's even a better shape for a 'Superman' logo!)

I'm certainly glad I got the headlights, I was a bit surprised, they are very large, and heavy as well, and need some changes to the front of the frame to clear them, not terribly difficult, just annoying.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe these (Red arrow) are the stock turn signals.

I don't understand how Vanderhall get away with the sunken in headlights and taillights, that appear not to be visable from the sides.

Headlights and taillights being clearly visable from the sides, is a law consistent throughout all Countries and responsible for all the wrap around headlights and taillights you see today.

1668290547752.png

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand how Vanderhall get away with the sunken in headlights and taillights, that appear not to be visable from the sides.

Headlights and taillights being clearly visable from the sides, is a law consistent throughout all Countries and responsible for all the wrap around headlights and taillights you see today.

View attachment 26127
The Certification labs did not let Arcimoto get away with it. They ended up having to change the more stylish body molded turn signals to a stalk mounted fixture so they were visible. Perhaps the Vanderhall isn’t NHTSA certified. I can’t find an official manufacturers VIN Tag, but rather a thin metal tag with a Vehicle number on it. Odd. I didn’t think a vehicle (auto or motorcycle) could register and license without being fully certified.

1668300842627.jpeg

1668353416286.jpeg

Last edited:

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't speak to Vanderhall or Acrimoto, but my Yamaha does not have a wrap around headlights or side marker lights. I do know the reflector (on the side is required). I added the reflective wheel tape during one of my "trying to recapture my youth" moments. Otherwise, it is all stock, so it must have been motorcycle certified in its current configuration.
DSCI2134.JPG
DSCI2138.JPG
DSCI2140.JPG

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 26127
Vanderhall spent the money and hired the correct certification guy, thus not a problem like FUV had. On the other hand, Vanderhall only took 6 years from start to finish (FUV took 2X the time). Sells in all 50 states and Australia (FUV sells in 14 states). They obviously are doing something right. On the other hand, only billionares can afford a Vanderhall (it costs 64% more than the FUV). At least to take a test drive in one is free (I suggest you try at least once to get the three wheeler experience).

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Vanderhall spent the money and hired the correct certification guy, thus not a problem like FUV had. On the other hand, Vanderhall only took 6 years from start to finish (FUV took 2X the time). Sells in all 50 states and Australia (FUV sells in 14 states). They obviously are doing something right. On the other hand, only billionares can afford a Vanderhall (it costs 64% more than the FUV). At least to take a test drive in one is free (I suggest you try at least once to get the three wheeler experience).
The correct certification guy? I’d prefer not to be critical of either startup. The point is both the Vanderhall and the FUV are FMVSS certified. Arcimoto is currently partnering with Munro and Associates for development of the production scale model. Not to shabby. I was simply curious if BEX is considering the FMVSS motorcycle certification requirements in his design and engineering process to save time on the track to crossing the production finish line not a debate. Frankly, I have no idea how long it will take BEX to complete his protoype build, test a Beta fleet, finalize production model specs, certify, and start production. BEX’s progress appears to be better than most I’ve followed over the years.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The correct certification guy? I’d prefer not to be critical of either startup. The point is both the Vanderhall and the FUV are FMVSS certified. Arcimoto is currently partnering with Munro and Associates for development of the production scale model. Not to shabby. I was simply curious if BEX is considering the FMVSS motorcycle certification requirements in his design and engineering process to save time on the track to crossing the production finish line not a debate. Frankly, I have no idea how long it will take BEX to complete his protoype build, test a Beta fleet, finalize production model specs, certify, and start production. BEX’s progress appears to be better than most I’ve followed over the years.
Well, one way this can play out, with out certification, is to be a custom boutique maker. Basically, when you deliver less than 12 cars/mo(some number like that), and where all your regulated parts are from US certified cars, and assembled in the US, it all flys under the radar. But, the BEX windshield is not one of those parts, so this may make that one path blocked.

Top Bottom