• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So maybe this is a bit closer to the truth?
View attachment 26177
The 'Sondors Treatment' is definately a curiosity to me.
But some number may like it, and some number will not.
The idea would require some work for the best effect.

View attachment 26178
It's like noses. My wife dislikes her nose. I love it. But I don't like my own. lol.

There is no reason it can't be an after market option. And not all that hard to do as custom.
The early sleak and stylish renders had the wheel shroud but still a pain for snow buildup and having to remove it for routine maintenance.
1669074533333.jpeg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Nothing to report sorry.

My new factory area is going very badly. Just got electricity yesterday, wired up my overhead lights myself today, new walls are being erected tomorrow to enclose my area, my forklift broke down 2 days ago and still isn't up and running.

Just a lot of things that is making this the worst move ever in my factory life, thanks mainly to an incompetent landlord who did no preparation work at all, ahead of me moving.

Looked stylish and functional on the Sondors prototype build.
How about an open wheelwell something like this

I was hoping for some baggage space to the right side of the rear wheel.

There is no reason it can't be an after market option. And not all that hard to do as custom.

My swingarm isn't pretty, but that's because it's a swingarm, not a showpiece.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Nothing to report sorry.

My new factory area is going very badly. Just got electricity yesterday, wired up my overhead lights myself today, new walls are being erected tomorrow to enclose my area, my forklift broke down 2 days ago and still isn't up and running.

Just a lot of things that is making this the worst move ever in my factory life, thanks mainly to an incompetent landlord who did no preparation work at all, ahead of me moving.

I was hoping for some baggage space to the right side of the rear wheel.

My swingarm isn't pretty, but that's because it's a swingarm, not a showpiece.
The swing arm assembly on the first prototype build doesn’t need to be a showpiece, but rather an engineering masterpiece that provides for the best possible ride, however, the production Model BEX we plan to be driving in the future, should be both. :)

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
an engineering masterpiece

Not going to happen. I couldn't care less that a swingarm that you can't see isn't a 'work of art'.

I care that it performs to it's design parameters, is safe and robust, and cheap to produce.

If people want a work of art swingarm, go buy an Arcimoto at double the price, or better still, a Vanderhall at over 4 times the price.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not going to happen. I couldn't care less that a swingarm that you can't see isn't a 'work of art'.

I care that it performs to it's design parameters, is safe and robust, and cheap to produce.

If people want a work of art swingarm, go buy an Arcimoto at double the price, or better still, a Vanderhall at over 4 times the price.
in our part of the country, snow accumulation is seldom an issue .... as it was with Elio, I like the look of the enclosed rear tire .... also as I believe it would have been with Elio, an aftermarket featuring like the ones for Jeeps and VW Beetles is bound to follow ..... if there is a market for a different rear end treatment, somebody will offer it

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Performance is exactly what I meant by engineering masterpiece. My opinion is that your work to date is masterful. I wish I had the talent. Regarding Arcimoto’s $11,900 target MSRP. It didn’t happen for them or the average hopeful reservationist @ the current $17,900 base model MSRP and apparently won’t happen until scaled production numbers allow for it. Vanderhall is a hand built work of art, weekend toy for the rich and famous. I’m very intersted in seeing your completed prototype, and even more so in seeing the BEX production model final specs that can be manufactured out the production gate at such a low price point. I’m 75, so it’s unlikely I’ll be able to place an order that ships to your USA Dealership Network.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I gotta give it to them, that's a sleek looking render/prototype. Any latest news where they at on this project?
Sadly, exactly the same Vaporware place as the Elio. It was one of the sweetest prototype builds I’ve seen over the years of following prototype builds. I think it was to wide, with it’s side by side seating. The video track testing runs looked awkward in terms of performance and handling.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
in our part of the country, snow accumulation is seldom an issue .... as it was with Elio, I like the look of the enclosed rear tire .... also as I believe it would have been with Elio, an aftermarket featuring like the ones for Jeeps and VW Beetles is bound to follow ..... if there is a market for a different rear end treatment, somebody will offer it
Since half the country is snow belt, I’d prefer the BEX be designed and engineered to be open, with an optional factory easy pop on, pop off shroud for that rear wheel. I like the looks of enclosed as well, but not functional in many necks of the woods. I understand it’s what BEX wants and does, so not an issue, but rather just a thought process regarding the potential of expanding the market demographics to all climates out the production gate.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since half the country is snow belt, I’d prefer the BEX be designed and engineered to be open, with an optional factory easy pop on, pop off shroud for that rear wheel. I like the looks of enclosed as well, but not functional in many necks of the woods. I understand it’s what BEX wants and does, so not an issue, but rather just a thought process regarding the potential of expanding the market demographics to all climates out the production gate.
I personally do understand where you are coming from. I've lived in non-snow belt areas all of my life. But the few times I 'drifted' into areas where this is an issue, well given the trouble I found my self in, yep it's a big deal.

Given no other option, when that type of weather hit's, you take off the skirt, put the chains on, and ignore the double glances you get. Probably also need to do something alternative with the front fenders, but being out and accessible, it's no big deal just to knock off ice chunks from those places.
Infact, if chains are needed, you will likely need a version of front fenders that fly's a little higher, if you can't just leav'em off.

In Arizona it seems it's only required to have splash guards over the rear tires. But, even so, MANY people around here have thier rear wheels jutting out beyond the rear fenders with out 'em.

(ADDED: I used to drive my FWD Ford Fiesta (yep, in bright orange) in the late 70's up for skiing in the mountains of Washington State. I NEVER had to put chains on, while everyone else except for maybe the 4 wheelers needed it. A f.w.d Bex will be 67% better than that.!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom