• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
thanks for the info .... I have no doubt that Mark and you understand all of this technical stuff ... I don't but I really appreciate both of y'all being will to help make things like this clear to folks like me .... I'm really enjoying following him working his way through it

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
About the fork

My intent at the moment is to simply cut the ends off stock rear beams, add a pivot bar and strengthening (red lines).

beam 1.jpg

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
here again, asking because I'm curios and don't know, would it take a different type of fork for a motorcycle and a automobile type tire ?

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
here again, asking because I'm curios and don't know, would it take a different type of fork for a motorcycle and a automobile type tire ?

Ari is mostly correct, and parking brake is one of the biggies here.

The rear beams are dirt cheap, and as Ari says, the OEM hub and brakes bolt straight on of course. I am hoping I can use both ends simply to save money, eg; one beam purchased, 2 cars supplied. This will mean the wheel nuts (lugs) will be on the left side on half the cars, and vice versa :-)

To repair in the future, if for some reason I can't supply, a repair shop can grab a used (or new) beam, and make the very simple alteration I have in mind using common tube sizing and common bushings, so 50% 'off the shelf', and 50% simple shop mods.

brake sizing is certainly an issue, not only will a proportioning valve be required because one brake is being eliminated, but I feel a load proportioning valve (like pickups have) will also be required due to the large percentage weight change with or without a rear pax. rear wheel lockup is certainly something we want to avoid.

ABS isn't required on a sub 2000lbs vehicle, and I would never use a single master cylinder.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
brake sizing is certainly an issue, not only will a proportioning valve be required because one brake is being eliminated, but I feel a load proportioning valve (like pickups have) will also be required due to the large percentage weight change with or without a rear pax. rear wheel lockup is certainly something we want to avoid.

I like it any time pickup truck technology is involved ..:D.. I must admit that I'm not one bit surprised that Mark has all of this stuff bouncing around in his head and that as the build proceeds he'll be ready for whatever is taking place

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
BTW,
Other ways to slice and dice a car body into an autocycle .....
The Bex is something like the one on the left. I'm attracted to slicing at an angle more like the second, being narrowed at the rear, (corrected: Bex's using something more like #2)
and some lowering, which admittedly, might be a tuff act to perform. Stock original is on the right.
200sxS131.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom