• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Today's task was assembling and installing the left CV shaft, steering knuckle etc and making some test templates to position the strut, red arrows. I am happy that the strut is not just lower, but further inside the bodywork than previously.
You can see the old strut top mount, blue arrow, and that the new position is no where near it, include that the strut top will need to be some 50mm/2" lower than that when the spring compresses under car's weight .

mac 22.jpg

For the technical minded, I already had a little too much caster for my liking, and the new packaging has increased the caster beyond reasonable. But if I move the strut top in front of the frame vertical tube, green arrow, left picture, there is too little caster. So there was no choice but to remove the vertical tube, replace it with a horizontal tube, green arrow right picture, and start developing the new strut top mounts from there, with the correct amount of caster
1f642.png

mac 23.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While I wait for the laser cut parts for the new strut top, that won't be cut until tomorrow (Don't they know who i am!!!), I am starting on the rear arm and wheel.

I am happy to be able to use the rear beam off the same donor the steering knuckles are from.

It's just a straight tube, as can be seen in the picture, and the hub stub axles are centered to the tube, how much more simple a foundation to work from can you get. So I got it up in the air today, and another pleasant surprise, it uses a load sensing proportioning valve, red arrow, as I am going to be using. I like it when many parts are from the same car :-)

rear 1.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got my laser cut strut top mounts back today, very happy to have a long, flat edge to work with, makes life easy. As you can see, the edge lines up with the vertical frame member, so again ease of design and implementation is at hand.

mac 24.jpg

mac 25.jpg

Removed the rear axle beam, 5 minutes later it was cut up,

rear 2.jpg

and now designing around it to make the rear wheel swingarm.

rear 3.jpg

Had one of those bad hand days, skinned knuckles, numbers of cuts and scratches, worst of all a squashed thumb, right on the nail, some days are like that. I had 2 friends there at the time, Margaret and Tina, they felt really bad that I was in pain, but I told them: "Don't cry for me, Marge and Tina" .....

Top Bottom