• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some feeling when I started cutting up the frame of the prototypes today, hard not to when you have put so much time into something, then execute it ....

View attachment 25165

The reason was to retrieve the main roll hoop, stick it in the new car to get dimensions from the new one I will make the next few days.

It may look like it fits the new car, but it doesn't, close but not usable.

View attachment 25164
Yeah…. I can feel your pain just a bit. But, it will most certainly be worth it. I go through this process almost daily in my line of work. More mental than physical for me - but it is taxing and can weigh a bit on the mind if allowed. End result is most definitely worth it though. Hang in there. The old frame will just be a vague memory in 6 months. ;)

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well it might look like the same picture as yesterday, but it's the new main roll hoop I bent up today using the old prototype roll bar as a pattern, almost the same bend's degrees, but some difference in distance between the bends.

roll bar 2.jpg

roll bar 4.jpg

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
just wondering .... when the time comes to start making parts for assembly, will you have to take it back apart to use for patterns ?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
have just seen a notice that GM is extending temporary shutdowns at three of its North American plants due to a global semiconductor chip shortage. The decision to extend the shutdowns is in an effort to prioritize chips for production of GM's full-size pickup trucks and SUVs. GM previously said the North American plants would be closed until at least mid-March.... having no clue how many such chips your trike will have, do you foresee this being an issue for you production

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
good to hear -- NO -- make that great to hear
My son just bought a new Corolla hybrid. I dropped him off to pick it up. I bet the dealer had only 15 new cars on a lot big enough for a Major League Baseball game. Lack of chips is suppose to be the reason for the empty lot. Crazy times....

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I imagine the chips were probably on the ship stuck in the Suez canal for 106 days, or one waiting for access to the canal back in Mar. 2021. IMHO

Top Bottom