• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mark...

What aspect(s) of the BEX build, do you anticipate to be the most challenging?
If you will allow me to jump in here, Mark has the build down pat. The big challenge will be to get the financing to go into production. I hope he will learn from Elio that a great engineer doesn't make a great businessman. He should partner up with someone with a track record of getting money and building businesses.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
as you noted, he has the build down pat and he started working on funding .... as such, the process he follows utilizes the build to also attract production partners and financing

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The big challenge will be to get the financing to go into production.

Respectfully, you guys are not aware of my financial resources, and it isn't an issue actually.

Mark...

What aspect(s) of the BEX build, do you anticipate to be the most challenging?

Easy question: Quantities. It is quite difficult to get some hundreds of bespoke parts made when companies expect to makes thousands for you at a time.

Not only is relying on "off the shelf" parts logical for a number of reasons, it also avoids this "quantity" situation, but I can't completely avoid it.

This has always been the biggest headache for me, and others. I have a friend in Australia who at the moment wants 500 bespoke brake calipers, and companies just laugh at him.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After a surprising amount of time to 'get it right', I feel I have nailed the side roll bars.

Though they look simple, the design affects related areas, the chassis, front and rear seating, even the fuel tank for which I do not want to make a bespoke fuel tank. The pickup, fuel level sender, pump and electrics all are specific to the engine, so I am very keen to use the original fuel tank.

Very pleased I have taught myself over the years to be able to bend even 100 degree bends in a pipe bender, which many say it can't be done without crushing or wrinkling the tube ...

100 degrees.jpg

Because all 3 bends are on the same plane, I can use a little jig to hold a spirit level so all 3 bends really are on the flat plane. I also welded some tabs to a bench, and bolted the bender solid, only took me about 10 years to finally get around to it :-)

100 2 degrees.jpg

smithsonssg

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just doing a lot of measuring, designing, drawing and test fitting of the roll cage. Taking a bit of time, it's measure twice, fit once, or in this case, measure 43 times, fit once.
Goes like that when making mounts for a side . It just does not come out they way the drawing did. Or fit like the cardboard cuts did.
I do wish you the best. I enjoy seeing people step out side the box.

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I haven't chimed in here yet, but I have been lurking and watching!

This project is so cool and has me all excited again! Keep up the great work, you have the right first name! :D

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Respectfully, you guys are not aware of my financial resources, and it isn't an issue actually."

Elio said they needed around $300,000,000 U.S. to get into production. If you have that much available, congratulations.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had to lock the rear door into place with a couple of plates and rivets (red arrows), to line up the bodywork.

I am quite surprised how strong it all is, I was still expected flex, but it's remarkably solid considering there is little lateral support.

rear door 1.jpg

Roll bars looking good, it actually fits better than I hoped for after I locked the rear door into place, and peripheral items fitting as they should. Very happy about the '3 bends only' aspect of it.

rear door 2.jpg

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had to lock the rear door into place with a couple of plates and rivets (red arrows), to line up the bodywork.

I am quite surprised how strong it all is, I was still expected flex, but it's remarkably solid considering there is little lateral support.

View attachment 25195

Roll bars looking good, it actually fits better than I hoped for after I locked the rear door into place, and peripheral items fitting as they should. Very happy about the '3 bends only' aspect of it.

View attachment 25196
Lookin good! That roll bar fits like a charm! I know the 3 bends in the same plane will be a benefit in production. Every bit helps!

hey…. You need to sell the rear door plates and rivets as a child proof lock option. ;) That’s at least a $150 add on in today’s market!

Top Bottom