• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday someone asked me about the side roll bars plan, and I was hesitant to answer.

The reason why is that the prototype side roll bars had 5 smaller bends in them, 2 of them only a couple of degrees, and I wasn't happy with that, as replicating them consistently would be a hassle, especially matching left to right, so I had been considering another way to approach the roll cage.

However today, I did some experiments, and realised that the Hyundai roof has a lot more area above the doors than the prototype did, and I believe I can get the side roll bars in there with only 2 bends, will be great if I can, more work in that area tomorrow.

Also, not sure yet, the front and rear down legs, which add 2 more bends each side, looks like I might be able to get all 4 on the same flat (2D) plane, that would make life so much easier, and of course there wouldn't be a left and right side then, as they would be both the same. If not it looks like I can get 3 bends on the same plane.

Picture shows today's 2 bends, Vs the old 5 bends.

roll side 1.jpg

Also if I do an open Acrimoto type model, the 2 bends will look a lot neater as they are also near level to the horizon.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I impressed my self today, which is fine until I look in a mirror and get back to reality, I think I can do just 3 bends for each side of the roll cage, which is quite a reduction from the 7 bends I used on the prototype cage ... and the 3 bends are on the same plane as well, how easy is that!

The bends on the prototype were not all on the same plane, making them hard to replicate, and especially hard to match left to right, with them on the same plane now, there is no left and right, as they are interchangeable.

I was worried I was going to have to find a CNC bender for production, but now being so simple, they could even be bent by hand and eye accurately if required

Still some fiddling to do to get it right, but worth the time and effort by the look of it.

roll bar 4.jpg

Last edited:

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
welcome to our new dedicated area in which we will follow the development of Mark Beckman's BEX Mongrel .... for any who haven't done so, it would pay for you to start from the beginning and follow the BEX's progress
Hey! This is awesome! Glad to see a dedicated area for the BEX!!! I'm thankful for the forum accommodating and Mark's willingness to share at each turn of the journey!

Reactions: JK

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's not just fun to share with others, it's also a personal log and record that helps me to review my own work, like myself looking at another's build, and I have made some changes according to somethings I have seen.

Thanks to the generous and helpful Forum Admin and Moderators for the support :-)

Top Bottom