• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
whoever sets up the machine to cut your pattern has to really know his/her business :wink:

It's actually more important that I get the file correct.

About all the operator has to do, is set the thickness, put the steel plate on the bed, and line up the cutting area extremities, the rest is all automated.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And a box of laser'ed bits ..

laser today.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now let's see if I can explain this:

The upper and lower door hinge mounting flanges, need to be at their respective 'X' heights for the doors to be located at the right heights, to fit and align into the door hole openings, obviously.

So instead of measuring, marking and manually locating where the separate mounting flanges, blue arrows, go on the respective vertical tubes, I have simply laser cut them out in one piece (for front and for rear doors) to automatically determine the heights.

This may have involved too much waste material, green arrows, bu I was quite successful in using most of that waste area for the various mounting brackets and nut flanges as you can see by the shapes that have been cut out of the waste area.

In addition, I also have large gussets, yellow arrow, for the front vertical tubes.

The red arrows indicate where I will cut the waste steel off later, merely leaving the hinge mount flanges at the correct heights and spacings.

door hinge mounts 2.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A gentleman mentioned he was colourblind, if so hope this helps ..

Now let's see if I can explain this:
The upper and lower door hinge mounting flanges, need to be at their respective 'X' heights for the doors to be located at the right heights, to fit and align into the door hole openings, obviously.

So instead of measuring, marking and manually locating where the separate mounting flanges, #1 arrows, go on their respective vertical tubes, I have simply laser cut them out in one piece (for front and for rear doors) to automatically determine the heights.

This may have involved too much waste material, #2 arrows, but I was quite successful in using most of that waste area for the various mounting brackets and nut flanges as you can see by the shapes that have been cut out of the waste area.

In addition, I also have large gussets, #3 arrow, for the front vertical tubes.

The #4 arrows indicate where I will cut the waste steel off later, merely leaving the hinge mount flanges at the correct heights and spacings.

door hinge mounts colourblind.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe I have the sides and doors positioned and lined up now, so the important thing to do now, is to get the center main rollbar in, and tie the rollcage structure all together, as I started to do this afternoon, but the hours just disappeared until I realised it was suddenly night!

rollbar main 1.jpg
rollbar main 2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom