• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The boys folding my parts up today ... excited to see how they fit up tomorrow.

fold.jpg

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This might be a little off topic but I can't think of a better person to ask than you. What, in you're estimation, percent of battery range be reduced by using an air conditioner full time? In other words, if an all electric car got 200 miles on a full charge with out using air, what do your think it would get with the air on? Thanks

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This might be a little off topic but I can't think of a better person to ask than you. What, in you're estimation, percent of battery range be reduced by using an air conditioner full time? In other words, if an all electric car got 200 miles on a full charge with out using air, what do your think it would get with the air on? Thanks

5 to 10% reduction.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Playing around with the new front subframes, generally working out well, but I do have to make some changes, not because of the design, but because the metal folders had trouble with the left and right main sides due to the complicated bends, that were too tight in the machine.

The rear subframe has worked out just great though, was as simple and straightforward as I hoped for, can't wait to fit it up into the chassis the next day or 2. Pictured on the right with a rod end sticking out. It is just a sheet with a few folds, with 2 short lengths of box tube welded in, far less complicated and much faster to make than what I had.

Front subframe 6.jpg

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Playing around with the new front subframes, generally working out well, but I do have to make some changes, not because of the design, but because the metal folders had trouble with the left and right main sides due to the complicated bends, that were too tight in the machine.

The rear subframe has worked out just great though, was as simple and straightforward as I hoped for, can't wait to fit it up into the chassis the next day or 2. Pictured on the right with a rod end sticking out. It is just a sheet with a few folds, with 2 short lengths of box tube welded in, far less complicated and much faster to make than what I had.

View attachment 25307
Out of curiosity are you planning on some kind of rust protection? I live in Ohio (USA) where in the winter we use salt on the road. Some of your seams look like great places for rust to start.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Out of curiosity are you planning on some kind of rust protection? I live in Ohio (USA) where in the winter we use salt on the road. Some of your seams look like great places for rust to start.

2 points, my steel is generally thicker, not ideal weight or cost wise, though not a big difference, and that's because I can't afford the pressings to use thinner materials in the shapes to retain strength, eg; compound curves.

Secondly, I am fortunate to have large galvinisation factories close by, so I am considering hot dipping them.

I use galvinised steel, as you can see above, when making prototypes because it's much cleaner and easier to handle, and looks pretty in pictures :-)

Top Bottom