• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The instruments are simple, just the speedo and tacho (not really needed). The speedo has all the ancillaries, such as fuel gauge, temperature, seat belt warning, turn signal lights, etc.

View attachment 25360A
having a tach isn't a significant positive or negative to me .... so long as it can be worked to display the data in American units of measure, the speedometer looks like it ought to be fine .... if your donor car is available for sale in the US, that shouldn't be an issue

Velhartice

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting the office prepared, primary job today was designing the steering column brackets, laser cutting them, and mounting the steering column.

View attachment 25359

The instruments are simple, just the speedo and tacho (not really needed). The speedo has all the ancillaries, such as fuel gauge, temperature, seat belt warning, turn signal lights, etc.

View attachment 25360
I like the cluster on this one with the high mounted tachometer, it’s nice to keep it in your FOV. Are the fuel and water temp gauges in the middle of the speedo?

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well the new chassis is going to be put together step by step these days, the difference from before is I think this will be a production chassis completion, or one that will only require minor modifications from here on in.

Production 1.jpg

The new design B Pillars are being laser cut, and folded tomorrow I hope.

B Pillars dxf.jpg

Part of the reason is to incorporate side intrusion bars

Intrusion bars 1.jpg

Alos, I've also been experimenting with the rear seat setup, you Ladies can tell your husbands that they are going to be very comfortable back there ...

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Alos, I've also been experimenting with the rear seat setup, you Ladies can tell your husbands that they are going to be very comfortable back there ...

my wife is delighted to see you say this .... the last time we drove to an Elio show was in early March of 2016 .... the picture below shows us sitting in the one on display .... with its single door, she was very uneasy and lost a good bit of enthusiasm about getting one

Attachments

• 160306 001 P5 at Shreveport 001.jpg
    160306 001 P5 at Shreveport 001.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 91

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
my wife is delighted to see you say this .... the last time we drove to an Elio show was in early March of 2016 .... the picture below shows us sitting in the one on display .... with its single door, she was very uneasy and lost a good bit of enthusiasm about getting one
Yeah JEBar, my wife (and myself) will appreciate the rear door. As one gets older (speaking of myself), it’s a little more awkward to climb over a seat. Much easier to deal with a child seat, etc. Plus that big safety feature of a 2nd egress on opposite side. This is so much better that the Elio design. My wife will be even more enthusiastic about this door configuration.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
.... with its single door, she was very uneasy and lost a good bit of enthusiasm about getting one

I dislike sitting in the back of various 2 door sports cars, feel like a trapped prisoner, the Elio reminded me of that the first time I saw people sitting back there.

Even my Tesla S is a bit disconcerting even being a 4 door, you kind of sit low, with high door waistline, and the front seats are very large, feels a bit like being buried in there, I notice I feel a bit sick sitting back there, as have others.

My point is I am trying to avoid all this to make people feel at home in the back seat.

tes rear.jpg

Last edited:

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Adding the second door and placing it where you have is brilliant. The amazing thing to me is that it took so long for someone to come up with it. Salute! :yo:

Now that you are working on the body shape it reminds me of something I saw here quite a while ago. Along with the rear seat access problem is the lack of luggage space in the trunk (boot). This idea looks like something worth considering.

1638777668121.jpeg

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
completely agree with the Elio's shape which was designed with aerodynamics in mind .... the BEX silhouette is very different and has been determined by the body side panels he has chosen .... he has designed the roll cage and most everything else to fit in within that shape .... no doubt there will be much more truck and rear passenger's space

Attachments

• 210820 001 on the bench 001.jpg
    210820 001 on the bench 001.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Top Bottom